5546 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrating Oracle from a 10.20 to 11.00 environment

dawood mamsa
Occasional Contributor

Migrating Oracle from a 10.20 to 11.00 environment

Hello folks;

Do you have any expereince moving an oracle db from a 10.20 to 11 environment.
If the same I/O config is used all we need to do is to vgexport the vgs and vgimport it back in the new box.
Any thoughts and suggestion.
THINK
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I believe it is always safer to use Oracle's EXP and IMP to export the databases out of your 10.20 and then import them into your 11.00.

Note also that in HP-UX 11.00, there are additional Oracle-related OS kernel parameters for the 64-bit version. So, don't forget to adjust the new parameters maxtsiz_64bit, maxdsiz_64bit and maxssiz_64bit.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
dawood mamsa
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion Steven.

No doubt oracle export and import is a good tool, but I always find it very challenging when migrating large (400GB +) DBs.
Data consistancy is one major issue with exp and import and not to forget the time is takes to perform the task.
THINK
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
If i were you, i would go the path of Steven.
We have done this here in our company several times ( updates of OS / updates of databases and - or upgrade of applications ).
If you do the exp and imp way, you also save the time for the next reorg, that is surely about to come. Try to purge some stuff from the database ( if possible ) and free some space this way. Then do the exp / imp.
Remember, you will need some space for the export. If your export file grows larger than
2 GB, you can transfer this file either with fbackup ( command line ) or OmniBack.
Tar and cpio will not do.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

According to ORACLE, you have to reinstall the executables, which are different for HPUX 11. I recently did this for the 7.3.4 server and 10.7 apps, and ended up applying a number of patches for Oracle apps 10.7. Everything worked except for the one report binary which we ended up using the 10.2 version. I moved from a K460 to an N. I did have some hardware issues, but the Oracle move went quite well. I suggest allowing adequate time for testing. Our report problems after the move could have been eliminated if the users had tested everything they were supposed to. See note 99206.1 on Oracle Metalink which focuses on moving from 10.20 to 11.0. Good luck
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

A few months ago, I migrated 8.0.6 from 10.20 to both 11.0 and 11.11. After installing Oracle 8.0.6, I simply got all the mountpoints set correctly and the database came up with no problems.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Dawood,
I have to agree with those who say export and import. The last place I worked we did over 100 migrations on AIX and HPUX with the export and import without failure. Sure it takes a while. I would also reinstall the 11.00 server and your oracle version, a destructive load may not always be our first choice but from my experience I have always had better success with that type of load.

Good Luck,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

One other item - after my move from the k460 on 10.20 to the N on 11.0, printing reports from Oracle did not work right. I took for granted that of course my printer configs which I had imported, would have no problems - after all they are just printer settings. In fact he newer version of JetAdmin caused a lot of trouble. Many printers would not print jobs at all, one printer wanted to print the same job over and over. I copied my old files from /etc/interface etc and they worked correctly.