108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating Solaris Oracle to HP-UX Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Migrating Solaris Oracle to HP-UX Oracle

I have been asked if I know how long it would take to move a 400GB ORacle DB from Sun Solaris to a new HP-UX system running on Integrity and EVA's. Any ideas on how long something like this will take? I really don't know where to start on this one.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
13 REPLIES 13
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Migrating Solaris Oracle to HP-UX Oracle

Hi Phil,

same product on HP as on Sun?
400 GB, what kind of connection do you have, gigabit?

If it is the same product, export the database to a filesystem, ftp/rcp the file from sun to hp.

How fast, depends on your network, below is a test i did for a large file.
49535.57 Kbytes/s 1000mb
10780.27 Kbytes/s 100mb full duplex

HTH,
Robert-Jan
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

So just copying the file is going to be about 3 hours. How long for an export and then import. Possibly another 3 hours each?
spex
Honored Contributor

Phil,

We could use some more details, such as:

* Will you be copying over a network or utilizing some other means, such as tape?
* How fast is the network link between the boxes?
* How fast are all drives involved?
* Will the Oracle datafiles suffice, or must you use transportable tablespaces, or exp/imp?
* Do you care about the time it will take to configure the database on the new server once it has been copied?

You can perform some basic benchmarking on both systems to get some of these values.

PCS
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

O.K. I think I have more information on this now. The disks on the Solaris are a direct connected array. What I am thinking is that we can connect the EVA to the Solaris system and do a volume copy of the Oracle volume to the EVA. Then once that is completed we shutdown the EVA, disconnect from the Solaris (yeah) and connect it to the Integrity server with Oracle Enterprise Server installed (Same version as what was running on Solaris), startup the EVA configure the drives into the system and connect it to Oracle.

Does this sound like a good plan of action?

Phil
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Phil,

The default filesystem type on Solaris is UFS, HPUX uses VXFS.

what are you using on your solaris server?

Robert-Jan
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have the answer to that yet. I was told that they were using Veritas so I thought it would be VxFS. Can Solaris use Veritas?

Phil
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

Solaris is very compatible with Veritas, most companies who has a solaris shop, uses veritas to manage their volume groups/filesyetesms etc
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Yes solaris can use veritas (vxvm), but to use veritas and vxfs you need to have veritas filesystems installed as an extra option.

solaris 9 example below with VXVM
root# df -k | grep PXXT | grep d01
/dev/vx/dsk/prd01/poradata-prbt-d01 7323693 5511781 1445728 80% /app/poracle/oradata/PXXT/d01
root# fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/prd01/poradata-pxxt-d01
ufs

Regards,
Robert-Jan
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

On your import/export step...

Are you going to do a "whole" database export, or a schema at a time?

As a suggestion, to gain time, I've done the schema at a time version, so as to gain concurrency.

First do sys, system, then go back and export all of the base schemas.

Then to go to each schema for the application(s), then export the users schemas.

Then, you write a script to load the base sys,system in the first step. Second step is for all of the base products. Third step is to begin running (like 10 or 12 processes wide) application schema loads. And lastly load the user schemas 10 or 12 wide concurrently as well.

Then start working on your invalid objects and problems.

Naturally, you'll want the new database patched to EXACTLY the same level as on the Solaris server before you begin the loads.

Of course, you'll do this in test plenty enough times to where the whole process is HIGHLY repeatable, and you've got your timings down.

Don't forget to create (from your timings estimates) a fallback plan. That is, at what time during the weekend, if you're not done, you start putting the system back to the Solaris Server. Remember, the definition of a non-failure for the weekend is that, after it's all over you're still "up" - ON EITHER PLATFORM. A definition of success would be that you've made it to the new system before the drop-dead time designated for cutover.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett