New Discussion юеВ

Migration oracle from tru64 to hpux

SOLVED
Go to solution
marshal_4
Advisor

Migration oracle from tru64 to hpux

Hi Gurus,

If im going to migrate my 80 gb database from alpha server (tru64) to rp5740(hpux11i). Will i be needing only the export/import command? Will it already migrate all my database files to rp5470?

Thanks and more power,
marshal
want some guts learn HPUX
14 REPLIES 14
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Migration oracle from tru64 to hpux

>>Will i be needing only the export/import command?

If only.

Export/Import will move your data for you, assuming you have enough room for the dmp file, but you will have to do all the tablespace creation and datafile allocation manually. But this is what you would want in any case, otherwise the datafiles may not be placed where you want them.
There's a paper on this subject here: http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/performance/pdf/opt_storage_conf.pdf

You don't mention Oracle versions: if you are moving to but not already at 9i, there are many new features to do with file and tablespace management.

Good luck

-- Graham
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi marchal,

You will need to install the oracle RDBMS software on your HP (rp5740) server that is certified for HP-UX 11i.

Then create the database,empty tablespaces (datafile) and the schemas (users).

Grant privileges and quotas to users.

Then you export the data from the source server (tru64) database and then import the data intot the newly created database on rp5740.

Depending on the time available as exp/imp takes long time, you can run multiple sessions of export and imports (by schema, or table lists)

I hope this helps.

IA
Never give up, Keep Trying
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Hello

There is another useful document at the following address

http://www.hp.com/dspp with title

Oracle Database Migration, Tru64 UNIX to HP-UX

Thanks.
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
marshal_4
Advisor

Hi Graham,

I thought after importing my dump file all everything will be migrated to the new machine. Why do i have to manually create or allocate the tablespace and datafiles. Sorry im confused.

Thanks,
Marshal
marshal_4
Advisor

Hi IA,

What do you mean by oracle RDBMS software that i need to install in rp5470? Is it free?

Thanks,
Marshal
marshal_4
Advisor

Hi Sanjay,

I visited the link that you gave unfortunately i did not found any information regarding Oracle Database Migrating Tru64 to HPUX.

Thanks,
Marshal
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi marshal,

Export/Import is the only supported method of moving an existing Oracle database from one hardware platform to another. This is due to the incompatible file structures between Operating Systems.

The only option is to take a logical backup of the database, hence export/import.

The general procedure is as follows:
1. Gather the necessary information from your source database.
You will need to know the exact name of all TABLESPACES, so perform the following query as a DBA user:
SQL> SELECT tablespace_name FROM dba_tablespaces;

Maybe a good time to move to Locally managed tablespaces if you are still using dictionary managed tablespaces.

2. Perform a full export from the source database as a DBA user.
For example:
exp system/manager full=y file=expdat.dmp

3. Move the dump file to the target database server via ftp or NFS.

4. Create a database on the target server.

5. Before performing the import, you will need to precreate your tablespaces.
This is necessary since the import will want to create the corresponding datafiles in the same file structure as was at the source database. Since your file structure will be different on the target database, precreating the tablespaces will allow you to specify a file structure that will work.

6. Perform a full import with the parameter IGNORE=Y into the target database as a DBA user.
imp system/manager full=y ignore=y file=expdat.dmp

Using IGNORE=Y will tell Oracle to ignore any creation errors during the import, allowing the import to complete.

Please refer to metalink note 113178.1

hope this helps!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi marshal,

By Oracle 8i RDBMS I ment the Oracle 8i software. You have Oracle 8i software on your tru64 (HP Tru64 UNIX ), where you have an database of 80 GB. Like wise you will have Oracle 8i software for (HP-UX PA-RISC) for HP-UX 11i.

You will get the software by creating a TAR in metalink / requesting from oracle, by specifing the platform.

Once you install this software, you will be able to create any empty database. And then you can follow the steps and import the data from the source database.

IA.
Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

About your question:
<>
The Oracle RDBMS software is the corresponding Oracle software that you currently have on your tru64 and that you need on your HP-UX server.

YOu may either contact your Oracle support or download it from OTN.

hope this helps too!

regards
YOgeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)