Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem configuration problems

Stephen Hatfield
Occasional Visitor

Modem configuration problems

I installed RedHat 8 on my Pavilion N5495. I got wired and wireless networking going just fine. I bought a PCMCIA modem (Actiontec) reported to work just fine with Linux. Cardmanager identifies the card correctly but I get an IRQ 3 failed error when serial_cs loads at startup. I went into the BIOS and disabled the infrared port which was running on IRQ3 and rebooted but still get the error. Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Re: Modem configuration problems

It is my understanding that there are some generalized problems with the way Red Hat 8 configures pcmcia. You should probably check all you pcmcia-related config files carefully. It might also help to search Google for something like 'Red Hat 8 pcmcia'.

Bruce
Stephen Hatfield
Occasional Visitor

Which config files should I check? Thanks!!
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Take a look at the various files in /etc/pcmcia and also at the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file. You'll probably have to try to find documentation for the various settings in the files.

Bruce