108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Modems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pat
Honored Contributor

Modems

Is it possible to uninstall the Agere modem that came with my pc desktop (Pavilion a600y series), leave it intact and add my adsl internal modem so I can connect to my dsl line? Currently, with the Agere I can only connect through dialup.
13 REPLIES 13
John Y
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Modems

Try disabling it in the device manager.!
Pat
Honored Contributor

By disable, do you mean uninstall? Or, is disable different from uninstall. So far I've uninstalled when reading "replacing a modem" found on the hp site.

I'd uninstalled and removed it (Agere modem) once, didn't have the driver for the adsl modem (Alcatel) which was detected so I reinstalled the Agere. I now have the driver for the Alcatel but wondered if I can just leave the Agere modem internally (not remove it completely from the unit) and add the adsl modem?

John Y
Honored Contributor

I think you can leave the Agere modem in place and just select disable in the device manager otherwise Windows will try to reinstall it when you reboot, see if that does it for you.
Pat
Honored Contributor

My apologies for requestioning, but I've just received my Pavilion with XP and haven't quite explored it due to the modem problem being top priority. I do know about uninstall. I'll check for disable. And, thank you for responding.
Pat
Honored Contributor

Also, I messed up your points since I'm new to this forum's system and just said submit them...you rated higher than unassigned.
John Y
Honored Contributor

Sure thing Pat, anytime just ring.! Don't worry about the points issue but if you want to give them just use the drop down box at anytime for the amount by each reply and then hit submit after choosing.! This place can be confusing at first like it was to all of us when we started.!

BTW...There's another part of the forum that caters to Pavilions, here is the direct link, take care............................
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=405
Pat
Honored Contributor

Thanks, John and you take care also. I'll look into that forum.
John Y
Honored Contributor

Pat you can also try this sister site.......

http://p204.ezboard.com/bhppavilionsupport
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Pat,
If you can not find how to disabel the modem, follows these steps:
1. Rightclick my computer and choose mange (depending on your starmenu configuration, it is on the desktop or in the starmenu)
2. On your left choose 'Devicemanagement'
3. On the right you see all sorts of hardware catagories. doubelclick on modems en doubelclick the modem you want to disabel.
4. In the genareltab you can disabel it,with a dropdown menu.

HTH,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"