1748195 Members
3106 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring Linux Servers

Mark Ryan_3
Occasional Advisor

Monitoring Linux Servers

I've recently been looking at ways to monitor linux servers. I'm using United Linux 1.0 or SUSE Enterprise Linux v8. I've downloaded the necessary drivers/agents from the HP site and installed them. All seem to be installed OK. On my CIM7 I can see the device and the status is green. I can generate alerts by pulling disks on the server and the alerts come into CIM7 but the status stays green. it should go orange or red. Any ideas? Also (and this maybe related), I cannot access the Systems Management Homepage. I get 'page cannot be displayed'. The agents installed are cpqacuxe, cmanic, hpasm, cmastor. I think they are installed correctly.

Many thanks
Mark.
6 REPLIES 6
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

I am not familiar with this monitoring product, but have you tried bb4.com (Bigbrother). I heard good things about it. The url is "http://bb4.com".
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

We use BB here, and on a number of client machines (around 200). It does well for basic monitoring.

As for CIM7 (not sure what that is) not nothing the degraded state of an array, I'm not sure what to say.

To tell the truth, I've not done enough testing with forcing degraded array states to see what the logging is like.

I beleive that some sort of event will get logged, what the command 'hplog -v' reports (do the failures in the array get logged into the IML ?).

Anyway, something to look at.
One long-haired git at your service...
Mark Ryan_3
Occasional Advisor

CIM7 is Compaq Insight Manager 7. We use it for monitoring our Compaq/HP NT Servers. I was looking to use it for possibly monitoring some Linux servers also which according to HP's website should be possible.
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Is there a different MIB to be loaded for the RAID monitoring? I'd look at that first.

Paul
Mark Ryan_3
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Paul but I don't think so. CIM7 is seeing alerts coming in from the device but the status is not reacting to the them. However, if I switched the machine off, it will react and come back in a critical state.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid I've not used any of the Insight managers, so can't helpyou there.
One long-haired git at your service...