New Discussion юеВ

Monitoring tools

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joyce Suganthy
Advisor

Monitoring tools

Hi ,

Is there any monitoring tools which does the same as an NMS in HPUX for Linux Adv Server ver2.1, or something that is capable to do the basic monitoring like file system size???

Thanks in advance

Joyce
5 REPLIES 5
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Monitoring tools

Hello Joyce,

since as per

http://www.adventnet.com/products/webnms/help/installation_guide/index.html

RedHat is a supported platform (even more so than HP-UX), you should be able to get NMS running in the first place if that is what you want.

Greetings, Martin
Joyce Suganthy
Advisor

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply, but are you saying that the NMS running in HPUX can be made to run in the linux environment?

Please do explain further

Thanks
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

well not the same images I suppose, but since from my cursory reading of their website, NMS is a client server oriented framework, you should be able to integrate Linux systems into an existing environment. They specifically list
Redhat 7 and 8 as supported, but that should give you a good chance with AS too.

Greetings, Martin
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Have you tried Big Brother?

http://bb4.com/

Big Brother monitors System and Network-delivered services for availability. Your current network status is displayed on a color-coded web page in near-real time. When problems are detected, you're immediately notified by e-mail, pager, or text messaging.

Works great, highly configurable, esy setup.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Tracy Avent HPSW Instru
Trusted Contributor

If by "NMS" you refer to either OpenView Network Node Manager (NNM) or OpenView Operations (OVO), here is some info.
In NNM 7.0 there is now a version native to Linux. OVO 7.x is not native to Linux but runs on HPUX, Solaris and Windows and can manage various types of Linux environments.

NNM's "disk space" features out of the box are pretty much HPUX-only, but I gather that the UC Davis SNMP extensible agent on most Linux environments can be adapted to report disk space, but offhand I do not know if they do this by default.

OVO is much more likely to monitor disk space, since the OVO Agent at 7.x includes some basic system performance metrics including disk and file system. OVO is more expensive than NNM but is also much more flexible.

hth
tracy.avent@hp.com
HP Education