1753820 Members
8711 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More questions regarding Oracle

Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

More questions regarding Oracle

1)The Oracle installatio(7.2.3) guide says that I should have ANSI C compiler in /opt/ansic/bin - but I do not have such a directory on my HP UX 10.2 server. If that is the case , can I use Pro*C- I was able to install Pro*C.

2) I would like to relink manually from Oracle installer- just to be on the safe side - to make sure SQL Forms 3, SQL MENu5 are all linked etc. Should I exclude any executables from relinking or can the installer decide which needs to be relinked.
Many thanks in anticipation
7 REPLIES 7
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Have you sucessfully installed your new environment?

1) I'm not sure, but maybe Pro*C doesn't need ansi C to be installed on the server: try it!

2) I think you should test if Forms and Menus are working. If they are working fine you do not need to relink them
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Antunes - but I would have to upgrade to 7.3.4 soon- that is why I thought of doing a relink to be on the safe side(As i won't get a long time to test all aspects of Forms and Menu before update). Once I update,as I understand I would not be able to relink the products on the 7.2.3 release- Can I?
And If i try to relink, would it create any additional problems ? Or shoud I exclude any executables from relinking ? Can the installer decide what to relink ?
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Once you update to 7.3.4 you would not be able to relink the products on the 7.2.3 release, unless you install/upgrade 7.3.4 to a new ORACLE_HOME... But why should you want to relink the older Oracle RDBMS??
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Basically two reason for relinking -
1) Since I specified "Relinking - No" at the fresh install of 7.2 , I am unsure whether all the functionalities we need would be availbale by the automatic relinking during install- esp interaction of Menu with Forms, Forms with PL/SQL etc.
2) Some patches on the Operating system have been done today .
So from what I read, I need to relink- but as I have not done relinking before, I am concerned
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

You can always relink at the end of the process, after upgrading to 7.3.4...
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Whatever the state of your 7.2 will be, 7.3.4 will relink the new versions. Your problem is that some products you installed (Forms & Menu) will not be re-installed by 7.3.4 upgrade. So you need to be sure these are linked well. For Oracle : "You should almost always choose to relink when installing Oracle software. it is a good diagnostics means of determining whether or not the software has been installed properly."

Solution would be to relink, or to verify each executable file with ldd... Let say you will relink :)

To relink you can use installer. This document should help to determine a way : http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=FOR&p_id=247366.996

Regards,

Fred

--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

You can use the standard K&R C compiler. Just make sure that you set CODE=KR_C in your proc command line.

ex: proc code=KR_C

If you have an old proc book look on page 7-6 of the release 2.1 book.
The chapter is titled "Running the Pro*C/C++ Preompiler" in the "Programmer's Guide to the Oracle Pro*C/C++ Precompiler" book P/N A21021-2

If you have an OTN account (they are free), you can go to his link and see the 8i documentation. 8i should be close to the 7.3.4.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/appdev.817/a76942/pc_10opt.htm#5972

If you don't have an account http://otn.oracle.com/index.html should provide a link to get one.

-Good Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible