1752586 Members
4147 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting ASM DiskGroups out of BusinessCopy on the Same Host

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Mounting ASM DiskGroups out of BusinessCopy on the Same Host

My ASM disks sit on top of a VxVM Diskgroup -- just for the multi-pathing it offers. Each SAN disk equates to one volume folling Symantec/Oracle Best Practice:

DG -- asmdg
Volumes -- asmdisk01 to asmdiskNN
Disk String to ASM:
/dev/vx/rdsk/asmdg/asmdisk*

I perform BC Split, I am able to adress the VxVM issue of haveing a VxVM BCopy split on the same host. I've named my ASM Bcopy set asmdg1. So:

BCOPY CLone DG: asmdg1
VOlumes: asmdisk01 to asmdiskNN
Disk String to ASM:
/dev/vx/rdsk/asmdg1/asmdisk*

My DBA however says ASM will still have difficulty mounting the clone as the dsk signatures in /dev/vx/rdsk/asmdg1/asm** will be the same as the original/source database.

What's the Fix? I suppose the same issue with simple AutoPathed or MPIO'd non-VxVM disks will exist.

Anyone has a tweak/nifty util to alter the "disk signatures"?

Thanks
Hakuna Matata.
3 REPLIES 3
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

Based on documentation, the command 'vgchgid' may work for this situation. I haven't tried it but someone else can probably confirm.

Kevin
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately no it does not work that way. No matter what you do with the LVM or VxVM diskgroup (if you're using these layers or even raw disks) - the point is ASM still thinks the "disk signatatures" from the clone already belongs to an existing DB/ASM Diskgroup.

And here is no facility available to the DBA to let them "rename" an existing ASM Disk Group.

There are claims of an unsupported tool that can alter the disk signatures of the clone disks. There's also reportedly a NetApp gyration (supported by Oracle?) that does "rename" ASm diskgroups.

Hakuna Matata.
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I should have read the details carefully. It will be interesting to see if someone has a good solution until Oracle can implement this functionality. Otherwise there's mention of using RMAN to duplicate a database but it's certainly not as clean as a rename feature.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/asm-on-emc-5_3.pdf