1752819 Members
4267 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mounting MO platters

Richard Ray
Advisor

Mounting MO platters

I have a HP C1114K magneto-optical drive I've connected to a Linux host. I have quite a few platters formated with HP hfs. Is there a chance in #### of reading these platters?
4 REPLIES 4
jim bidebo
Regular Advisor

Re: Mounting MO platters

I belive that the linuxkernel supports hp-ux HFS. but i do not think thats its enabled in any linuxdists by default.

So you probably need to recompile your kernel with support for hpux HFS.

you can find all the information about compiling the linuxkernel that you need at : http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto
Richard Ray
Advisor

I'm familiar with building a kernel. I have the lastest 2.4.19 but I'm unable to locate the proper configuration option. Any ideas?
Duncan Gibb

The filesystem Linux calls "HFS" is the Apple Mac filesystem (and HPFS, of course is from OS/2), which makes finding the filesystem, you want more difficult than it should be.

However (jump in here any listening HP engineers), HFS is derrived from the BSD UFS, so you should be able to read the data from your disks using the UFS filesystem (which is normally supplied as a module - no kernel rebuild). Use:

mount -t ufs -o ufstype=hp /dev/devicename /mnt/mountpoint

I wouldn't expect writing to work, nor fancy features ( ;-) ) like access control lists.

Good luck.
Richard Ray
Advisor

Thanks the ufstype=hp does work. I got the the same info from Martin K. Petersen. I suspected that ufs would work but the man page doesn't list the hp option. I quess I don't feel totally stupid.