1753519 Members
5083 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting NTFS in linux

Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

Mounting NTFS in linux

I am able to mount a ntfs drive as user root, but I was wonder how to make the drive available for other users who log on to my computer
Just a Linux newbie
12 REPLIES 12
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

When you mount it as root, what permissions do the parent directory and subsequent files get?

If you want it to load automatically, you should be able to add an entry to the /etc/fstab that looks something like:

/mount/point /dev/hdaX ntfs 0 0

Options will be any '-o' stuff you passed with the 'mount' command line. If there aren't any, use the word 'defaults'. This will mount the NTFS partition upon boot-up.

If you want the users to be able to able to mount/umount it as they desire, use options of 'user,noauto' instead.
One long-haired git at your service...
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

In your /etc/fstab, you should have :

/dev/hda3 /mnt/ntfs ntfs owner, kudzu, rw 0 0

Meaning, the parititon to be mounted is /dev/hda3, I put it in /mnt/ntfs directory (for example), it's an ntfs type, the owner of the console and kudzu can mount it in rw (the rest is option).

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

I am very new to Linux, but I will tell you what I have done so far. I mounted my ntfs drive at /usr/mnt/winxp.
And under permissions, it will only allow me to select read only, which is fine. but the problem is that It will not allow me to select any user groups any sort of access.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just a Linux newbie
Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

sorry about all that garbage. It kept giving me error 404 when I would submit. I guess it got posted afterall.
OOOPS
Just a Linux newbie
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Ooops too... This time is known to have this kind of posting problem...

Do you want anybody to access the xp directory, or just some users ? If everybody, the hundred posts here give you the clue.
If just some people, add them to a group, and replace 'owner' by the group name...

hope it'll post...

J
Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

I am the only user of this computer for the most part. and I can access my ntfs stuff from root. but I want to be able to do the same logged in as "luke." but really if anyone who logs on to the machine is able to view the files of ntfs, that is fine as well
Luke
Just a Linux newbie
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Ok,
So the 'owner' option is ok for you !

J
Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

So can you give me a quick step by step for what I have to do. I dont mean to be a pain, but could you start from the begining. I am very new at this. I hope its not a huge pain for you to explain.
Just a Linux newbie
Luke_21
Occasional Advisor

if I add the line
/dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs owner, kudzu, rw 0 0
to my fstab, will that make the drive mounted for all users on my computer?
Just a Linux newbie