New Discussion юеВ

Move running applications to another workspace in HP CDE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lilischkis
Occasional Contributor

Move running applications to another workspace in HP CDE

Hi,

I'am searching for a solution to move started applications to another workspace in CDE by scripting or a little C program.

I have seen other mechanisms during program start with -xrm or the switch.c program, but I need a move solution.

Thanks....
4 REPLIES 4
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Re: Move running applications to another workspace in HP CDE

applications are started by the shell

you could background the application after it was started or while you are starting it, but there is not any way to move a child between parent processes
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can use the DtWsmSetWorkspacesOccupied() function from /usr/dt/lib/libDtSvc.sl or the DtWsmSetWorkspacesOccupied builtin of dtksh.
The attached script shows a dtksh example that moves the current terminal window to a list of workspaces. It is takes workspace numbers to occupy like "dtksh_set_workspace 0", or "dtksh_set_workspace 1 3". The script uses $WINDOWID, which is set by terminal emulators like dtterm. If you want to affect some particular window you will need some way to find its window id. Perhaps you know it has a unique name. You could pick it out with "xlsclients -l".
Lilischkis
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the example script.
It is functioning fine on programs supporting xrm features like dtterm -xrm "....".

But when I want to use xprop or xlsclients -l to get the WINDOWID from programs, like xv or veetest there is no ID listed. How can I get the WINDOWID from programs like xv?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

could you try xwininfo

xwininfo: Window id: 0x10400239 "xv 3.10a "