Operating System - Linux
1752574 Members
4927 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

anbumanikandan

Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

Hello to everybody.I am new to this forum.I have some doubts, please clarify it.

i am using RHEL4.0.i am configure dns.

ln /etc/named.conf i have two zones.its possible to gave two reverse zone.if its possible, how can i configure?

my script is: in /etc/named.conf

zone "kite.com" IN {
type master;
file "kite.com.forw";
allow-update{none;};
};

zone "sky.com" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.forw";
allow-update{none;};
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "kite.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

Note: above reverse zone record is for kite.com zone.then what about for sky.com.

if its possible to one more reverse zone record for sky.com

please help me

thanks
1 REPLY 1
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

Yes it is possible to have more that one reverse lookup zone. But I am not sure that this will satisfy what you are trying to achieve. It all really depends on if you have everything in the sky.com domain on a different subnet than the kite.com domain. so you would add another entry similar to the one you already have, e.g,

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

but if both domains use the same ip address ranges then this will not work as you want. You wouldn't put this:

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

I am not even really sure what would happen if you did. You would probably either get an error or the last zone named 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa would probably win.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"