Operating System - Linux
1753427 Members
5048 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

anbumanikandan

Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

Hello to everybody.I am new to this forum.I have some doubts, please clarify it.

i am using RHEL4.0.i am configure dns.

ln /etc/named.conf i have two zones.its possible to gave two reverse zone.if its possible, how can i configure?

my script is: in /etc/named.conf

zone "kite.com" IN {
type master;
file "kite.com.forw";
allow-update{none;};
};

zone "sky.com" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.forw";
allow-update{none;};
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "kite.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

Note: above reverse zone record is for kite.com zone.then what about for sky.com.

if its possible to one more reverse zone record for sky.com

please help me

thanks
1 REPLY 1
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Multi Reverse Zone possible in DNS

Yes it is possible to have more that one reverse lookup zone. But I am not sure that this will satisfy what you are trying to achieve. It all really depends on if you have everything in the sky.com domain on a different subnet than the kite.com domain. so you would add another entry similar to the one you already have, e.g,

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

but if both domains use the same ip address ranges then this will not work as you want. You wouldn't put this:

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
type master;
file "sky.com.rev";
allow-update{none;};
};

I am not even really sure what would happen if you did. You would probably either get an error or the last zone named 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa would probably win.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"