New Discussion юеВ

Re: My Laptop freezes while playing video

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

My Laptop freezes while playing video

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas,

my laptop, a HP compaq nx9110 model, freezes while playing a video and moving the mouse together. When I dont have a mouse active the problem does not appear but when a mouse is on and moving the system freezes and I have to do a hard reboot (pressing the turn off button for 10 seconds).

I have already test two mouses, the one is a logitech cordless optical mouse, so I don't think that the problem lies in the mouse. Also all drivers are isntalled and working correctly and the motherboard bios is already updated.

Does anybody has an idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Phanos
73 REPLIES 73
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Merry Christmas to you, Phanos.

Check if anything is flagged in any way in Device Manager. The 2 mice? that you've tried; are they both USB? If yes, do you have access to a PS/2 mouse for testing purposes. If they were both PS/2, can you get a USB mouse to test with?

Also, if you haven't already done so, get the Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs by going here and choosing your OS:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/family/model/5932.html?lang=en&cc=us

Merry Christmas!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Dear Roger,

thanks a lot for your respond. The first mouse was indeed flag and this is the reason I bought a new one. The second mouse however is not flag in the device manager and it appears to functioning properly.

Both mice are usb. My laptop does not has a PS/2 port. My first mouse had a converter for a PS/2 port and I already test it on another computer an it was functioning properly. The reason I bought the second one was because I thought that there was a compatiblity issue with my laptop and that mouse.

I think I already have installed the Operating System - Enhancements
and QFEs but I will do it again and let you know. There are two files: System Enhancements Disk for Microsoft Windows XP and System Enhancements Disk for Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Should I installed both? I already have SP2 for win XP Pro.

Also the problem appears not only while I play video but also when I play audio and mp3 songs so it gets really annoyning since I can not use my laptop to work and listen to music at the same time.

Thanks again for the respond,

Phanos
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you have problems playing audio also, I think that you should update your sound device drivers.

Also, you could try reducing the "hardware acceleration" properties.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Dear Ivan Ferreira,

thanks also for the reply. My audio drivers are the latest found on the HP website. I will try reducing the "hardware acceleration" and test for the problem again. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Phanos
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Dear all,

I have just reinstall both System Enhancements Disk for Windows XP, uninstall and reinstall drivers for my sound card and graphic card but the problem is still there.

In the beginning the system appeard ok but after a while it happend again.

Any more ideas please?

Thanks again,

Phanos
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Aside from making sure the mouse, audio, video, and BIOS drivers and firmware are up to date, and making sure that your codecs are up to date as well, how are your system resources looking? Plenty of hard drive space? Defragged? A good size, contiguous swap file set up?
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Laptop bios mouse audio and video firmware already updated. Drivers also the latest from the HP website. Codecs also the latest.

Just upgrade to a 80GB, 5400rpm hard drive. Ram already upgrade to 768GB (640GB main memory and 128 graphic memory). Disk is constanlty defragment using Diskepper and perfect disk.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "contiguous swap file set up". Did you mean the windows pagefile? This is controlled by Windows XP.

Problem still there :(

Thanks,

Phanos
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Override the windows pagefile settings. set the thing to 0, then defrag, then reset it to min 4095, max 4095.
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Alan,

thanks. I will do that and let you know. I have a question however. What efects will I notice if I have a missconfigure pagefile?

Thanks a lot,

Phanos