New Discussion юеВ

My Laptop freezes while playing video

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergio L
Occasional Advisor

Re: My Laptop freezes while playing video

I too tried Rogers instructions.

I simply turned off the touchpad by pressing the button that disables it.

But the problem still remained. I also have tried flashing the BIOS and that didn't work either.

Any other solutions?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Phanos:

With the mouse connected (in the failing configuration), but using only the touchpad, go to Device Manager and select the top level (the computer). Click view, select 'Resources by connection', then expand the 'Interrupt Request (IRQ)' section. Please capture that entire list and post it here. While you're in there, expand the 'Input/outout (I/O)' and Memory sections and examine the contents. There should be no overlap. If you're unfamiliar with the hexadecimal counting system, there are 16 values per position (they are 0-9 just like in decimal, then A, B, C, D, E, and F). If you can't make sense of it, capture them and post them here as well. When you post a file, use .gif rather than .bmp. The files will be smaller that way.
I am attaching my PS/2 mouse driver, for example.

Thanks and make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Dear Roger Faucher,

I did as you instructed.

I believed that you can find the files. I have used winzip in order to upload both files.

Thanks,

Phanos
Sergio L
Occasional Advisor

Hello again.

Just checking to see if any updated progress was being made with the problem?
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Sergio,

hi. I am waiting also. Maybe Roger finds something helpfull and let us know :).

Phanos
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Phanos:

I don't see anything wrong so far. I also do not see the "external" mouse. Did you run this test with the PS/2 mouse or the USB mouse? It sure looks as if the Alsp (touchpad) is conflicting with any mouse which you install.

If you haven't yet determined how to disable the Alps, I think there is a way to create hardware profiles in Control Panel. Try creating 2 profiles; one with the alps disabled and the other with it enabled. Insert the extenal mouse (I'd start testing with the PS/2 mouse), reboot, and during the reboot choose the Alps-disabled hardware profile. If that works, try to see if you still have "the bug".

Is your modem on the motherboard or a PCI card? If it's a PCI card, try removing it and re-testing.

Let us know.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Roger,

Thanks for the help. My laptop does not have a ps/2 mouse port so any mouse I have tested was a usb one. The mouse appears in the device manager under "Mice and other pointing devices" as "Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse". I assume that it does not appears in the IRQ because is connected to a usb port.

My laptop does have a button for disabling the touchpad. Is this what you are referring or should I tried to disable it in the device manager? In device manager (right click on the alps touchpad) my computer does not gives me the option for disabling the touchpad.

Also the modem came with the laptop so I don't know if is in on pci slot of how to remove it. I never opened my laptop before
Con Ad
Solution

Hi there. I have exactly the same problem, although mines a desktop pc, n pretty basic. However i've searched the web all night n aready found many people with the same problem so it seems pretty common among many computers. Still trying to find a solution tho, because this is so annoying to say the least! Audio seems fine, but video wil randomly freeze n you get this recurring sound, like a scratched CD skipping. iv got latest drivers n stuff, but no luck. sometimes i wish it was a laptop, least it'd fit snug under my front wheel, wouldn't remain functional for long.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Phanos:

Sorry, I spaced out momentarily and was referring to your computer as if it were a desktop rather than a laptop. By all means, experiment with disabling the Alps (if you haven't already done so) and try disabling the modem.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Phanos
Frequent Advisor

Dear Roger,

sorry for the delay to get back because I was at work. Thanks for all the help and support.

I tried disabling the modem and turning off at the same time the touchpad (with the use of the button on the touchpad, I have not found a way to disable it in the device manager), but the problem appeared again. I have tried it several times but the effects are the same. As soon as I strart a video and start moving the mouse in different direction the computer sooner or later freezes.

Didn't you find anything else in the IRQs?

Thanks

Phanos