1753740 Members
3679 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mylex DAC960 & Fedora (Core 2) Installation

Imtiaz Nazrul
Occasional Contributor

Mylex DAC960 & Fedora (Core 2) Installation

I have a Netserver LH Plus with a RAID configuratin using a Mylex DAC960P(maybe PD) with
BIOS: 1.41
Firmware: 2.73

I have two 4.2g drives in RAID 1 &
four 4.2g drives in RAID 5

The drives are intiliazed and recognized as system drives during bootup. I've disabled the Motherboard Adaptec SCSI Conrollers since I'm not using them and with the hope that disabling would solve my problem (it didn't).

The problem is whenever I install Fedora Core 2 the installation process hangs on installing the DAC960 driver after it has succesfully gone through the aic7xx driver (I'm not sure of the exact name). At first I thought that since the installer goes to the SCSI controller first, the DAC960 driver was not being recognized. But then I manually chose the DAC960 driver first (by doing "linux noprobe") and it still hangs.

The drives are all ready to go, I did a media check on the CD: no problem.

Please help.

Thank You
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

I've had a lot of hardware issues with Fedora cores 1, 2, and 3. Is Suse or Mandrake an alternative for you?

I've just installed Suse 9.1 on my laptop after giving-up on Redhat/Fedora, and it worked flawlessly.
Johannes Krackowizer_1
Valued Contributor

hi imtiaz nazrul,

try enabeling the onboard aic7xxx controller. maybe your computer bios is buggy and so the install hangs.

best regards,

johannes
"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture." (Linus Torvalds)
Imtiaz Nazrul
Occasional Contributor

I tiried the installation with the onboard controller enabled and disabled. Same results.

This is a server environment, and I am unable to get Enterprise Suse, So Fedora is my option for now.

Also, I tried a Slackware installation with the "raid.s" kernel and it also froze during the loading of the RAID driver. This time it was the driver from dandelion that's supposed to work.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

I'm a bit confused here. You talk about Enterprise Suse and Fedora Core. Surely if you want an enterprise edition with support you should be using Redhat AS? If you get Linux Magazine, this month has Suse 9.1, and Janury edition has a Fedora Core 3 DVD. See: http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/50