1752799 Members
6069 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

N3390 WIN XP DVD decoder problem

Ron_170
Occasional Contributor

N3390 WIN XP DVD decoder problem

Hello I have just installed XP on my Pavilion N3390 and now it will not play DVD's I has the factory installed Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2402 When I try to play the error box comes up saying that I need a decoder for the player. Would anyone know where I could find one? A lso here is a wierd problem- My keyboard functions fine until I use Remote assistant. I seems like it blows the keyboard driver out. I can use a plug in keyboard and reboot AFTER the reboot both the laptop and remote keyboards work. However if I pull out the remote keyboard then the laptop key board goes back to the problem. Problemis all the keys funtion however they do not key what the actually are, for instance P is 6. Looking forward to your help with these problems. Thank you in advance Ron
6 REPLIES 6
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: N3390 WIN XP DVD decoder problem

Ron:

If you have the original CDs, you may be able to find a DVD decoder program there. That should work if you upgraded from Windows 2000. Otherwise, you'll probably have to buy a DVD decoder program.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ron_170
Occasional Contributor

Hello Thank you for the fast reply!I did a fresh install for XP not an upgrade I do however have the original software that came with this laptop. It is win98se. Would the decoder provided in that software be compatiable with XP? Thanks again fro your time ROn

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ron:

I wouldn't expect the WIN98 version to work with XP.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,
Try the free trial of PowerDVD at http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28

As for keyboard problem, it isn't by any chance locking the numlock? do the other numeric keys also come up when you press them?
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Ron_170
Occasional Contributor

Hello, Only some of the keys are effected u=5
p=3
y=6
It happens after I connect with remote assistant. Reboot will not fix it. I have to use system restore to a time before remote assit. So any programs that I have installed of course get wiped out
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Ron,
It may not be possible to resolve this issue.. looking at the available updtes for the computer, the only bios update was at http://search.hp.com/query.html?qt=+n3390+compatibility&col=hpcom+ccen&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hp.com%2Ferror.html
and most other updates refer only to, at best, Win NT.. which sort of dates the old thing! I would suggest that if you want to use remote assistant, and you have no trouble with the external keyboard, that you stick to theat regimen.. and not waste any more of your time...
Please check that the bios you have is at least at the level of the download above.. if not you might update your bios.. no guarantees it would fix the problem though!
Have a nice Xmas and new year.. if we don't meet again before then!
Regards.. Omar
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!