6049 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NEED URGENT HELP ??????????????

Deanna Tran
Frequent Advisor

NEED URGENT HELP ??????????????

Hi all,
I need someone to explain to me what steps that I need to do next after I finished the installation of the oracle database and the client. I have edit /sbin/init.d/oracle and create a symbolic that file.
As i continue to read through the documentation, I pretty lost. It wasn't self-explanatory and it is very confusing....
My purpose of this database is just simply can run raw I/O to the device , the baby step...
So can some1 please help me to go over these steps?
I have installed the enterprise edition of databse...just a basic installation...
thank you very much....
ANd i am looking forward for your repsond
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Which steps are you confused about?

Linking /sbin/init.d/oracle is used to startup the oracle database (/sbin/rc2.d/SXXoracle) during system startup and shutdown the oracle (/sbin/rc1.d/KYYoracle) database during system shutdown.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Deanne,

To confirm whether the script is fine,
do

#/sbin/init.d/oracle start

#ps -ef |grep ora
and see whether all oracle daemons are running.

_raj
Take it easy.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

The /sbin/init.d/oracle scripts simply starts the database in the same manner as I explained to you in your earlier question (SQL>startup)

If you're planning on performing RAW I/O as in using raw devices in making up the database, this is not an easy task, and might require special setup of HP-UX(if you want to use async I/O)as well as the database.

From Metalink:
When using a raw device you need to specify the full pathname in single quotes, and use the REUSE parameter. e.g. if there are two raw
devices, each 30Mb in size, and the database has a 4K block size, the relevant command would look like this:
create tablespace raw_tabspace
datafile '/dev/raw1' size 30712K REUSE
datafile '/dev/raw2' size 30712K REUSE;

The basic installation of Oracle uses filesystem/block I/O.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!