1752579 Members
4312 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS mount hangs

Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

NFS mount hangs

I have a HP-UX 10.20 NFS Version 2 client that is NFS mounting a remote file system, NFS version 3, on HP-UX 11.0 64-bit via automounter. The file system shows mounted on the NFS client in the typical /tmp_mnt directory tree. Whenever I try to cd to the directory, the command hangs, I do a "cntrl C", and after a while the command returns. If I try to manually unmount the file system on the client, I get a "Device Busy" message. A "bdf" command also hangs when it gets to this NFS automounted filesystem. I can manually mount the remote file system to another directory with no problems. What's going on? Any ideas on how to fix this without rebooting?
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
2 REPLIES 2
Berlene Herren
Honored Contributor

The most common problems with lockd hangs are seen when a user has a home directory mounted via NFS and is using the ksh, or when the user's mail directory is mounted via NFS (/var/mail). The root cause is that ksh and mail try to use NFS file locking calls that are not responded to by the lockd on the NFS server. Specifically, ksh tries to lock $HOME/.sh_history, and /bin/mail or /usr/bin/mail try to lock /var/mail/$LOGNAME .

Berlene

http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

This NFS exported file system just contains data and sub directories. No home directories reside on it. My gut feeling is that automounter is the culprit, but I don't know how to fix it.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.