108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NFS server ok

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

NFS server ok

I set up an NFS server on an 11.0 machine with two 10.0 machines as the clients. When I try to transfer a file from a directory on one of the 10.0 machines to the NFS mount, it says "NFS server inddev01.bestlock.com ok" and then just sits there. The file name shows up on the other servers but, it never gets about 0 bytes in size. is it a permission problem or a "network" issue with hosts names, etc?
6 REPLIES 6
IT_2007
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: NFS server ok

few things..

1) are systems upto date with patches? You mean to say HP-UX 11.00 and 10.20 operating systems?
HP-UX 10.20 is out of support by HP.

Run showmount -e command from NFS exported server and see what output you get.

Make sure that you can touch a file on client NFS mount point so that you can verify permission issues.
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

Nope... this is 10.01. :)

When I do a showmount -e on the server (11.0), it shows that the directory is being exported.

And, I can touch a file in the mounted directory on the NFS client.

The really strange thing is that the other 10.01 system doesn't have any problems. And, it is an ignite image of the first 10.01 system. So, they are exactly the same when it comes to patches. Is there something I'm missing?
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

ok. then check parent directory permissions on client where you are mounting NFS share.

Also check syslog and dmesg on client.
check /etc/mnttab for filesystem mount point.

If still exists, change mount point to /test

mount -F nfs server1:/nfs-share /test
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

The parent directory is /. The mount point is exactly the same on both servers.

It is showing up in /etc/mnttab the way it is supposed to.

The syslog just says that the server is not responding. But, I know that it is since I can touch a file in there. It's only when I try to copy something into it that it fails.

The syslog tells me that the server is not responding but, that is kind of a generic error. dmesg doesn't give me anything.

I tried to change the mount point to /test and it still didn't work.
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Hi,

This is typically a name resolution problem. Make sure you can resolve the server name from the client. Use 'nslookup(1)' on the client to see if the server' name can be resolved sucessfully. If not, you may have to chase down a DNS problem.

Regards,
Mark
Stephanie L Davenport
Frequent Advisor

We were unable to figure out what the issue was with the NFS mount. We ended up building another (3rd server) exactly like the first two. NFS worked fine on this one. We rebuilt it exactly like the production server (using restores) and used it to connect to the NFS mount.

Thanks,

Steph