1748209 Members
2736 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC config

Basavaraj
Advisor

NIC config

My system has a Davicom ethernet card. The module is loaded but when I try to configure the card I get the message
[root@localhost root] ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resourse busy

Any idea what might be the problem?
Confidence pays
7 REPLIES 7
Goran Koruga
Honored Contributor

Hi.

Does it say "resource temporarily unavaliable" prior to this ?

This message usually means you have a hardware problem. Make sure you set "Plug and Play" option in BIOS to NO.

In other words, verify resource allocations for your card, use cat /proc/pci or lspci -v. Check if there's an IRQ assigned to it.

G.
Silvestre Thomas

How many interfaces does your system?
try an ifconfig -a to see all interfaces.

Maybe eth0 is already up?
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi
is the card already up. check out ifconfig -a output.

try ifconfig eth0 unplumb and then assigning the ip address.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Basavaraj
Advisor

I've only one NIC card. When I type "ifconfig" the interface info is not displayed. Bu when I type "ifconfig -a" the eth0 info is displayed. I tried "ifconfig eth0 unplumb" and "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 down" to reassign IP add...but no luck..get the same error mesg. Also the "lspci -v" gives an IRQ assigned to this card. Now how do I reassign the IP add or get the card info with just "ifconfig" command?
Confidence pays
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi,
ifconfig just displays the status of all active interfaces. if your interface is not listed when u do an ifconfig, means due to some reason or other ur interface is down.

try doing an ifconifg eth0 up and see if it helps.

then what else? still no errors in ur log file?
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

I agreee that this sounds like an IRQ problem. When you do lspci -v, do any other devices share an interrupt with your card?

If so, you could try moving interrupts around, if your BIOS supports this. Another option is to move your card to another PCI slot.

It could also be a driver bug. What distro and kernel version are you using?
Basavaraj
Advisor

Guys, I've figured it out. I had the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file with the insmod for the card module. When I removed the line from the this file, it worked fine.
Now I've to insmod the card everytime I log in. How would I've the NIC up & running everytime I log in? I thought it would thru' the above file....but it is creating problems as you know now?
Confidence pays