108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIS poser

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

NIS poser

I have about a dozen HP-UX 10.20 boxes that I want to configure to use NIS. My understanding is that I need to get a master set of files, one of which is the passwd file.

My set up is something along the lines of:

Machine A has users a, b, c, d & e
Machine B has users a, b, c, f & g
Machine C has users a, b, c, h & i

Clearly, my NIS master data will contain users a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, & i.
But (e.g.) will users f, g, h, & i be able to log onto machine A? (I don't want them to).

Thanks,

Gary Cooper
3 REPLIES 3
John Strang
Regular Advisor

Re: NIS poser

Hi Gary,

It is my understanding that the NIS master data will contain users who will have access to ALL machines. If there are specific users for specific machines those should be held locally on that machine.

John
If you never make a mistake you'll never make anything.
Helen French
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: NIS poser

Hi Gary:

Yes ! That's what NIS do - Central and single point of User account administration. If you are going to set up these users as NIS users, then, when the user logs in, they are authenticated by the NIS server/database/maps !

If you want to set up users specifically for systems, then use the local user/ local password file. These users must be part of that single system.

However, in NIS if you want to restrict a single user from logs in to a particular system, then you can specify that user in the local password (/etc/passwd) file with a minus (-) sign ! This will not allow that user to log in to that system.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!