1748182 Members
3461 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NT Help

Tracy Orick
Occasional Contributor

NT Help

I purchased a Vetra VLI8DT computer from my office and am trying to get rid of what is on the hard drive. I do not have the NT disks to assist me in this.

Everywhere I look I need to have a bootable disk - any thoughts on how to create such disk? How to format the drive? Get rid of all the info on the drive?

I'm just a beginner in this and would appreciate any help at all. Look forward to anything - Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Re: NT Help

Hi Tracy,

For creating a boot disk:

1) format a: /s - this will format the floppy in the drive a: and will make it bootable.

for creating emergency repair disk:

1) Open backup and then tools and then create emergency repair disk. This will create an emergency repair disk which is bootable and contains all repair utilities.

for creating NT boot disk:

1) Insert the NT CD in drive, run the command - 'd:\bootdisk\makeboot a:" This will make 4 NT boot floppies.

Once you have a boot disk and if it contains the 'format.exe' file, then for erasing all data on drive c:, use:

1) format c: /U /S

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Tracy Orick
Occasional Contributor

Shiju,

Thanks for the help however, I do not have the NT CD - anyway else?
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Again, if you only need to boot from a floppy and remove everything from Hard disk, then make a bootable floppy from any other disk. boot through it and format the HDD.

If you have any CD for installing the OS, then boot through that, then recreate partitions. This will erase and format the disks.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!