New Discussion

Re: NTP Stratum 11

SOLVED
Go to solution
lawrenzo
Trusted Contributor

NTP Stratum 11

Hi All,

can someone explain why NTP is reporting @ stratum 11 - I am guessing that there is some configuration at the NTP server that isnt quite correct ....

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset    disp
==============================================================================
*coredns    LOCAL(0)        11 u   81  128  377    13.93   -0.427    0.49

Thakns

Chris

hello
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Either you haven't configured viable time sources or they aren't reachable.  As a fall-back, NTP is using your server's local clock.  You can use 'ntpq -pn' to troubleshoot.

Too, make sure that your server's time is close to the correct time.  NTP will abandon synchronization if the difference of the true time and the server's time is too large.  Verify your server time with 'date -u' and compare that value to an external clock.  If this is the problem, adjust your server time to match an external source and stop/start the NTPD daemon again.

Remember stepping a server's time forward is rarely a problem.  Stepping it backwards can play havoc with source control systems, logs and databases.  If you need to roll the time backwards, I suggest shutting down the databases; changing the time; and simply rebooting.

Regards!

...JRF...

Regards!

...JRF...

lawrenzo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hey James.

I've been on holdiays so not able to reply but thanks for the information to start troubleshooting

Chris.

hello
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Just a little clarification: to me, this looks like the local xntpd can connect to the remote NTP server on host "coredns" just fine, but the "coredns" system is using its internal clock instead of any better time sources.

(coredns is listed as a remote timesource, and it has a non-zero delay value. The refid field is reported by coredns. Its timesource has stratum 10, which would be typical for a local clock with some default NTP configurations. "Real" timesources like GPS time receivers are defined as stratum 0, and NTP daemons directly connected to them are stratum 1.)

MK