108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Need Help Accessing Hard Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
incaltech
Occasional Advisor

I'm unsure about what command was used to create the tape. I know that the machine is setup to take backups automatically every monday, wednesday and friday. I started doing some searching myself and found three different way mentioned online (dd, tar and cpio). I also did some digging into past manuals that I had on hand from the gentleman before me and he had a page marked for backup tapes using the cpio command.

I tried cpio and got a message that said "End of Volume" and then wanted me to feed it another directory as if it expected a continuation of data from somewhere else. With tar I got "Tape Read Error" and with the dd command I got "Read Error: I/O Error".  I'm not sure if this confirms my suspicions of corruption on the tapes as well?

Depends very much on the commands you are using and the tape device you are using. What tape device are you using? (show the output if "ioscan -funC tape") WHat exact cpio/dd/tar commands did you try?

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
incaltech
Occasional Advisor

When I entered the ioscan command, it came back blank with each tape that I put in. The tape drive shows up in SAM so I'm not sure if its just not recognizing these tapes? The tapes physically show that they are DDS-2 4mm Data Cartridges 120m 4GB native/8GB compressed (Mixed brands between HP, Maxwell and Fujifilm). 

The exact commands that I tried were:
tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0m
dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/home/recovery
tcio -i /dev/rmt/0m | cpio -ictv
cpio -ictv < /dev/rmt/0m

Also, I'm not sure if this helps any but I went into "Application Manager>System Admin>SAM>Backup and Recovery>Automated Backups" within the OS GUI and found that this is what has been creating these backup tapes. 

If the ioscan isn't reporting anything at all, that suggests there's a problem accessing the tape drive - even without a tape in the drive you should get something back on the ioscan. Can you post the full output of:

ioscan -fn

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
incaltech
Occasional Advisor

I ended up typing this all in to the textbox so I didn't include any of the file paths except for the ones that were associated with the tape drive to save time. If you need any of that information as well then I'll get it to you though!

>ioscan -fn
Class             I        Driver     S/W State     H/W Type               Description
======================================================================
bc                 0       root         Claimed        Bus_Nexus
bc                 1        ccio2       Claimed        Bus_Nexus             I/O Adapter
ba                0       lba           Claimed        Bus_Nexus             PCI Bus Bridge - lba
audio           0       audio       Claimed        Interface                Built-in Audio
ext_bus       0        side         Claimed        Interface                IDE
target         0        tgt           Claimed         Device              
disk             0        sdisk        Claimed        Device                   Mitsumi CD-Rom FX4830T!B
target          1        tgt            Claimed        Device                     
ctl                0       sctl           Claimed        Device                    Initiator
ba                1        superio    Claimed        Bus_Nexus             PCI Core I/O Adapter
tty               0        asio0      Claimed         Interface                Built-in RS-232C
ext_bus       1         scentif    Claimed         Interface                 Built-in Parallel Interface
siopc           0        siofdc      Claimed        Interface                Built-in Floppy Drive
floppy         0        sioflop      Claimed       Device                    HP_PC_FDC_FLOPPY
usb              0        hcd          Claimed       Device                    Built-in usb interface
usb hub      0         hub         Claimed       Device                    usb root hub
usb hid        2         hid          Claimed       Device                    usb hid kbd(0)
usb hid        1          hid          Claimed       Device                    usb hid mouse(1)
ext_bus        2         c720        Claimed      Interface                 Ultra2 Wide LVD SCSI
target           2         tgt           Claimed       Device                   
disk              1          sdisk       Claimed        Device                   Compaq BD018635cc
target           3         tgt           Claimed        Device       
ctl                 1          sctl          Claimed       Device                    Initiator
ba                 2         lba           Claimed        Bus_Nexus             PCI BUS Bridge - lba
graphics       0        graph3     Claimed        Interface               PCI (103c108b) -- Built-in #5
graphics       1         graph3     Claimed        Interface               PCI (103c1008) -- 1
ext_bus        3         c720         Claimed       Interface                Ultra Wide SCSI
target           5         tgt             Claimed      Device
tape              0        stape        Claimed       Device                    HP C1533A
                                /dev/dat                        /dev/rmt/0mn         /dev/rmt/c3t3d0Bestb           
                                /dev/rmt/0m                 /dev/rmt/0mnb      /dev/rmt/c3t3d0Bestn
                                /dev/rmt/0mb               /dev/rmt/c3t3d0Best /dev/rmt/c3t3d0Bestnb        
target           4         tgt            Claimed      Device                    
ctl                 2          sctl          Claimed       Device                    Initiator       
lan                1           btlan5      Claimed      Interface                PCI (10110019) -- 4
processor     0          processor                   processor               processor
memory        0         memore                       memory                 memory

incaltech
Occasional Advisor

^The tape drive showed up in this last command. I went back and used the '"ioscan -funC tape" command you had asked for earlier and now that is also showing what it's supposed to as well. I'm unsure if I was typing in something wrong before or if my machine was just being difficult.

If the backups were created from within SAM then they will be in fbackup/frecover format, so tar/cpio/dd would probably not help.

frecover should default to using /dev/rmt/0m which I think is your tape drive, so with the tape in try the following commands:

frecover -I /tmp/index
frecover -V /tmp/volheader

if the tape is in that format then that should recover a volume header (which will tell you a bit about when the backup was done) and an index (which will tell you the files that were backed up) . 

Post the output of those commadns here (don't post the /tmp/index file if it is created - it will probably be too big, but if it works you should be able to determine if the data you want is on the tape)

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
incaltech
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately there was still no luck on this one. I tried a few of my tapes. One of the older ones I had on hand sounded like it was doing something in the tape drive for a few moments and then didn't output anything but rather just went back to the command prompt.  A couple of attempts resulted in the following string of messages:

>frecover -I /tmp/index
frecover(2105): Did not find the expected file marker
frecover(5409): Unable to read a volume header
frecover(5418): Not an fbackup volume; unable to read volume header
frecover(5412):  Do you wish to try and salvage this volume? [yes   no]

And another tape gave this output....

>frecover -I /tmp/index
frecover(5403): Unable to open or identify device at /dev/rmt/0m
frecover(5432): Media rewind failed
frecover(5402): Failed close on device /dev/rmt/0m
frecover(5404): Press return when the next volume is ready on /dev/rmt/0m:

hmmm - I think your tape drive may also be goosed :o(

Any indication of recent chnages to the system log file that might give us a clue if that's the case?

/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo

incidentally if this command that you tried:

dd if=/dev/rmt/0m of=/home/recovery

was resulting in absolutely nothing being written into the file /home/recovery (it would need to not exist and not be a directory before you tried it) then either the tape drive is bust, or there is nothing on that tape, as the dd command literaly just reads a raw stream of data off the tape until it encounters an end-of-file marker.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo