5329 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

We are not running NetBIOS, LMHOSTS, WINS, or domains (all standalone PCs).

All clients are winXP.

I would like to enter an IP address range (for instance 10.133.12.*) and get returned the MAC address and ‘Host Name’ of each PC in the subnet.

The closest utility I have found is Colasoft MAC Scanner. It gives me the MAC address of each IP address, but for ‘Host Name’, it gives me the NAT address. What I need is the ‘Host Name’ which you get when 'IPCONFIG /all' is run, for instance:

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NEIU-81233

What I get from Colasoft MAC Scanner is:

10.133.12.160, 00:0B:DB:4E:B8:C1, nat-12-160.neiu.edu

In the example above, NEIU-81233 is the name I gave to that particular PC when windows was installed.

Is it possible to get what I am looking for?

It appears to me that the windows ‘Host Name’ has been essentially replaced by the NAT address, as far as network scanning is concerned. So is what I am trying to do impossible?

TIA – J.

check Facebook
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

The NAT address is obtained via DNS?

You can create a batch script to run ping -a and arp to identify machines. Does ping -a returns the correct hostname?

nmap is a good tool also.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Network Scan Utility NOT NetBIOS-Based

nmap will be quite useful, but not with this particular problem.

I think that because of the way my network is NATed, and without netbios, what I am trying to do can't be done.

J.
check Facebook