Operating System - HP-UX
1753284 Members
5540 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need backspace , delete , arrows , home and end key to work in Hp-UX 11.11 version

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Need backspace , delete , arrows , home and end key to work in Hp-UX 11.11 version

> it is giving command not found bz it is appening ^?

Very common problem -- it's not HP-UX, it's PuTTY (or whatever terminal emulator you are using). PuTTY emulates the long gone (but not forgotten) DEC terminal where a lot of DEC heritage (Tru64, NonStop, Alpha, etc) of using the DEL key (not backspace). After all, you are deleting a character, right? Unfortunately, the majority of us are so used to backspace that we forget to configure the emulator.

For PuTTY, open the session configuration window, select Keyboard and change Backspace from CTRL-? (DEL) to CTRL-H (backspace). Then save the session. While you're at it, you might change the backgound and foreground colors (Window -> colours).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
girija_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Need backspace , delete , arrows , home and end key to work in Hp-UX 11.11 version

yes .. ur right iam using the putty....
BUt when i do that i.e changing the ctrl+? t0 Ctrl+H it is not saving permanently ....

Do i have to for every terminal iam opening ?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

PuTTY is a little cryptic about saving sessions. Once you have made the changes, do NOT Open the terminal window. Instead, creat a name for your session and type it into the box: Saved sessions and press Save. Now you can open the session. In the future, when you open another session, you can do this by left-clicking on the tiny icon at the upper right corner of an existing window and selecting Duplicate Session (to get another identical window) or New Session to open the main PuTTY config window.

You can also create shortcuts on your desktop to automatically open PuTTY with a specific session name, or use one of the very useful PuTTY session managers like PuTTY Connection Manager or PuTTY Session Manager. These tools make it easy to have dozens of preset icons, one for each system in a different color and different settings.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin