1752805 Members
5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help with an ancient PC Vectra QS/20

Em Enriquez
Occasional Contributor

Need help with an ancient PC Vectra QS/20

This might sounds strange but there are people still using old PC such as Vectra QS. I am currenty having problem with Vectra QS every time i boot up, i am getting these errors:
"Invalid configuration information - run SETUP program"
"Invalid real time clock values - run SETUP program"

I cant seem to find this SETUP program..
where can i download a SETUP program?

thanks in advance
If it aint broke, dont fix it
12 REPLIES 12
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hello,

That's great that you are still using your QS/20. The QS, RS, and ES were great computers and I used to have an ES and an RS.

To run setup on these models, you need to do that from a floppy that shipped with the PC. I will include a copy of the file here and you can download, run the executable, and create the floppy disk. If you have problems downloading the attachment, please post another message with your email address and I will email it to you.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Sorry about that. I clicked the wrong button and didn't attach the file. Let me try this again. Click on the paper clip icon to download the file.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

I would assume that your battery has failed and therefore your computer has lost it's knowledge of things like the date and time, your peripherals (floppy disk, hard disk, etc.).
I assume this model is an old 386/20 and there seems to be no support on HP's website. There is an article, however, containing the following information:

"HP Vectra
www.hp.com

While your computer is starting, follow the directions on the screen: "Press F2 to Enter Setup," which are displayed at the bottom of the Hewlett-Packard System Hardware Test screen.
Follow the legend on how to scroll through the options."

When the message appears, press the F2 key and you should get into the Setup program. If the date shows as Jan. 1, 1980 that pretty much confirms my suspicions about the battery. You can manually edit the fields in the Setup program and get the machine working but it will probably fail again after power cycling. If it does, you will need to open the case, locate the battery and find a replacement. That should do it.

Good luck!
Make a great day!

Roger
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

You may be able to use a SAM disk from a later version, of a slightly different version - 386's and early 486 EISA machines ( up to about 33mhz.) Typically I recall that you needed disks 1 and 3 on the later boxes (i.e. S ) - the early boxes (i.e. Q) needed and shipped with just one disk for system configuration.

If the battery is dead, you may be able to just leave the thing powered on as a work around (once you fix the CMOS settings.)

I gotta tell you, your best bet is to just throw it away, and buy a cheap PC.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Em Enriquez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the file Jamie but still it didnt do anything.. I did an initialization thing for HDD and everything seems working ok but after i reboot the computer, i still have the same error.

Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hello,

So you ran setup from the floppy and it didn't change anything? I'm not familiar with that error message and I haven't been able to find anything in our databases. From the description, it is entirely possible that the clock and/or motherboard is bad. Are there any diagnostics on the setup disk that you can run or are there any error logs, etc when you go into the setup program? Take a look around in there and see if you see any errors, etc.

Other than the error, is everything working OK? I'm worried that you may have a hardware component that is flaky.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Em Enriquez
Occasional Contributor

Actually there is no error except the invalid configuration information. also there is no diagnostic test in the setup and i was expecting that too when u sent me the file.
can u send me a diagnostic program?

thanks
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have any software for the QS other than the setup disk I sent you. If everything is working properly and you have already run setup and don't see a problem, you might just have to ignore the error message.

Did this just suddenly start happening or did you make some hardware or software changes on the server? Did this happen to start on this past Saturday or Sunday?

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Em Enriquez
Occasional Contributor

Again thanks for the help.. I dunno when this thing happened..It' friend's computer and I tried to fix it for him. i also tried to replace the memory but nuthin changed. also i tried to replace the video card and so on and so forth. but that darn error still poppin up after the memory count.
this is how it look like:

ROM BIOS (C)Copyright Hewlett-Packard 1985,1986,1987,1988
Compatibility Software (C)Copyright 1985,1986,1987,1988 Phoenix Technology, Ltd.
Version D.02.01 QS/20
Invalid configuration information - Run SETUP program
Strike F1 to continue.

I pressed F1 to continue booting using windows 95 bootable disk
it will boot ok and i can see my C: drive

i just want to rid that invalid error thingy

thanks