1752564 Members
4848 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need to install HP UX 11iv3

Mhanby
Regular Advisor

Need to install HP UX 11iv3

I am trying to install HP UX 11i v3 on a PA RISC server over 11i v1. I do not have a console attached. Is it possible to install using only the MP? If so, how? and do I need to wipe out 11i v1 first or will installing 11i v3 over it do that as part of the process? TIA!
12 REPLIES 12
smatador
Honored Contributor

Mhanby
Regular Advisor

Thanks. At the moment I am just trying to work through the process of an install of HP UX 11i v3 on a test server.
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the support matrix is to check the hardware model supports HP-UX 11iv3, even it's just a test server.
I hope your server is between the following:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-6460/ch02s03.html

Read also the following:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-5795/ch03s02.html

Supported Update Paths to HP-UX 11i v3
You can update to HP-UX 11i v3 from HP-UX 11i v2 (B.11.23). Updating from any other release directly to HP-UX 11i v3 is not supported.

It means that you can upgrade to 11.23 and then to 11.31 or wipe out first and installing 11i3 from scratch.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Mhanby
Regular Advisor

Thanks. I did check it and it is listed.
I have the install/update guide too.

Just looking to make sure I could do this via the MP and for any other suggestions.

Such as... I do not see an option per-say for booting from the DVD in my list of bootable devices. I see only the following:
P0 0/0/2/0.0 ide.0 Random access media 1
P1 0/1/1/0.1 intscsia.1 Random access media 1
P2 0/1/1/0.0 intscsia.0 Random access media 1
P3 0/3/1/0.0 Random access media 10
P4 0/4/1/0.0 Random access media 10

What do I need to do to have the ability to boot from the DVD?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

This device:

P0 0/0/2/0.0 ide.0 Random access media 1

Is likely your DVD.

Mhanby
Regular Advisor

Great! Thanks! I guess I'll try that and let you know.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

yes you can install through MP.

boot the p0 device as patrick pointed out to you and this will start the install, provided the dvd is in the drive

as you work through the screens you will get options to choose the disk to install to, and at the end before it finally starts to create the filesystem it will ask you to confirm that you want to overwrite the disk as it contains a file system already.

make sure the disk is big enough though, as 11.31 is a big install and it looks like you have an older system, looking at the PDC search info. Think its about 21gb install so, you will need at laest a 36gb disk.

its all in the update guide though, depends upon the version of oe as well

Andy
Mhanby
Regular Advisor

Andy (and others) thanks for your reply.
The disk size should not be a problem in this instance (but thanks for pointing that out.) I am attempting the install. I will let you know how it works out.
Mhanby
Regular Advisor

OK...next question.....Is there a way to reset the console credentials from the MP? (The one I thought I entered does not seem to be working. (I find it hard to think that I mistyped it the same way twice but anything is possible....))