Operating System - HP-UX
1748261 Members
3500 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx

Laxius
Occasional Contributor

NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx

Hi all, anyone able to tell me, what to do in this case? we have a Sun StoreEdge L8 library and are receiving the following errors on stderr:

Apr 26 11:39:12 xxx root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx
Apr 26 11:54:18 xxx root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] NetWorker media: (critical) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx
Apr 26 11:54:18 xxx root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] NetWorker media: (critical) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx
Apr 26 12:09:44 xxx root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx
Apr 26 12:09:44 xxx root: [ID 702911 local0.alert] NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx

Anyone can help me with this one ?
8 REPLIES 8
Aussan
Respected Contributor

Re: NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Full' tape(s) on xxx

here

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=195995&admit=-682735245+1178117909502+28353475

hope it helps
The tongue weighs practically nothing, but so few people can hold it
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using DDS right there?!
Just unplug and plug in again ....
Laxius
Occasional Contributor

The original tapes SDLT are in the Jukebox.
The Jukebox is somehow not recycling/reusing them.
I believe it's a config issue.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

With Networker, if I recall correctly, tapes are initialized and placed into a pool. At the time of initialization, I believe a retention period is specified. It would seem that all the tapes belonging to the 'Full' pool that are in your jukebox have not expired. You need to provide an 'expired', or just initialized tape.

Pete

Pete
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Pete is on the right track.

It has been a while since I used Networker, but if I recall correctly each backup job you set up in Networker has a retention period.

In order for a tape to be re-used all backup jobs that were written to that tape must be "expired" or older than the number of days (weeks, months, whatever) specified as its retention period. Until that happens, the tapes cannot be reused.

There are ways to manually expire jobs, but I can't recall the exact procedure right now. This should be covered in your Networker documentation.
Laxius
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for all your replies, I think I am getting closer :)

How is retention period detected? Can relabeling of the tapes help? If yes, how to succesfully relabel a tape?
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, manual relabeling of a tape should help.

In Networker Administrator, first find a tape from the pool 'Full' which you want to use. Use the 'volumes' tab for this. When double clicking one of these tapes, you will see a list of savesets (backups) present on this tape. You can sort these by date to see how recently this tape has been used.

Once you have found a tape to relabel (or you have put a brand new one in the library), go to the 'configuration' tab, choose your tape robot, right click and go into 'operations'.

There, select the slot holding your tape and click 'Label'. Make sure you select the right pool when labeling ('Full', in your case).

Note that relabeling a tape destroys all data on it (you'll be warned again) and will make the tape available for new savesets.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Wout
an engineer's aim in a discussion is not to persuade, but to clarify.
Wouter Jagers
Honored Contributor

For the retention periods:

When you edit a client configuration you can see its 'browse policy' and 'retention policy'. These policies are separately defined within 'policies'.

When the 'browse' time of a saveset has past, clients can no longer browse through the files of this saveset. These files can however still be recovered as long as the tape hasn't been relabled (or 'recycled').

When the retention time of a saveset is over, this saveset is marked as 'recyclable'. (this means it is ready for throwing away, but it's still there for now)

When -all- savesets on a particular tape are 'recyclable' (the browse and retention periods have past), the tape itself will become recyclable. As from this moment Networker will be able to relabel the tape by itself if needed, or you could safely relabel the tape manually.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Cheers,
Wout
an engineer's aim in a discussion is not to persuade, but to clarify.