Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netraid-4M & RedHat 6.2

Netraid-4M & RedHat 6.2

Hello!

Is it possible to intall RH 6.2 on LH 6000
with Netraid-4M controller?
btw, is Netraid-4M supported by Linux 2.2
kernel?
6 REPLIES
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Re: Netraid-4M & RedHat 6.2

According to the HP Hardware HOWTO, the LH 6000 will run Linux and has been tested.

http://www.linux.com/howto/HP-HOWTO/hp-hardware.html

A footnote on the Netraid 4M indicates that it is equipped with a StrongARM chipset which corresponds to the Adaptec AAC-3642. A driver was expected to be available at the end of 2000. OpenBSD appears to have a driver for this controller, so one should be available for Linux, but I cannot determine for certain.

I understand that LH6000 is RH 6.2 certified.
But, as I see on HP site, there were LH6000 with
controllers other than Netraid-4M, which are AMI based.
May be LH6000 is certfified with such type of controller?
I don't see any StrongARM controller in hardware list
on www.redhat.com
Jochen Heuer
Respected Contributor

Infos about the percraid (old closed source driver) and aacraid (new open source driver) can be found on the following site:

http://domsch.com/linux/

For RedHat-6.2 the percraid modules disk should provide the module you need (untested). But HP is providing a driver for the NetRAID 4M on the Netserver Navigator CD (L.20.00 and above) although I have not tested this also.

I hope this helps!
Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

OK. As I see it is not very easy to install
Linux on Netraid-4M. More over, I need to use
SAP certified kernel, but, as I know there is
no driver for Netraid-4M in 2.2.18 kernel.
Well, we'll not buy it :)
Jochen Heuer
Respected Contributor

You asked specificly for RedHat-6.2. RedHat-7.0 should recognize the NetRAID out of the box since the aacraid driver is already patched into the RedHat-7.0 kernel.
Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

Shure . We'll use RH 6.2, because 7.0 is not SAP certified