6722 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network printers couldn't handle large files

Jie Li
Frequent Advisor

Network printers couldn't handle large files

I have another question:
Our network printers couldn't handle large files. If we print a file bigger than 85 pages it will unable to print the rest pages and begin to recover in wrong way.
It will print multiple copies and then print from page 1 to page 3 repeatly. I have disabled the recovery function but I think it will not solve the problem completely.
18 REPLIES 18
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Network printers couldn't handle large files

By any chance is /var filling up during this printing?

Pete

Pete
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

If their are a number of printers that have this problem, then I would take a look at the network traffic on your lan. It is possible that with too many retries only small jobs can get through.

My 2 cents...

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Jie Li
Frequent Advisor

How can we detect if /var is filled up?
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

When you print the file will spool to the directory /var/spool/lp/request/ on the printer server side. Unless you have /var/spool/lp setup as a separate FS, the disk space that you should check is /var filesystem (on the printer server side). Just run ..
# bdf
and look for the "/var" FS line. Another think you may want to confirm is .. is the printer buffer large enough to handle the print request ?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Run the command dmesg and check the output for messages about "vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/lovl? file system full (1 block extent)" or something like that. You might also check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log though I don't think you'll see anything there.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

The bdf command will show the current state of /var which may well be fine at this point. Use dmesg.

Pete

Pete
Jie Li
Frequent Advisor

I checked - only 36% is used in /var. Is this possible that there are something wrong with HP's driver? How to check it out?
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

To answer that you got to provide these deatils ..
1) What is the printer model ?
2) What application are you printing it from and how ?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You used bdf, didn't you? Check the output of the dmesg command.

Pete

Pete