3690 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New Problem, Different Day!

Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

New Problem, Different Day!

Hello.

Are you getting tired of me yet? I hope not. Today's issue is trying to "connect" my new user to an 8.1.7 Oracle database using SQL*Plus. When I do this, I receive the following:

Error accessing PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE
Warning: Product user profile information not loaded!
You may need to run PUPBLD.SQL as SYSTEM

So I connect as SYSTEM and run this script. The results are the same. Any suggestions?
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA
10 REPLIES 10
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Re: New Problem, Different Day!

hmmmz,

to get rid of that "error", only thing you've got to do is to execute $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/pupbld.sql as SYSTEM. This should result in a table system.sqlplus_product_profile along with a view and a public synonym for that view.
nothing I can add :(

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi again Scott!

Here is Oracles solution:
If you have run the "PUPBLD.SQL" script and are still receiving this warning,
then do the following:

Connect as user system, drop the PRODUCT_PRIVS view and rerun the "PUPBLD.SQL"
script.

Andreas

And remember New problems is what we live for..

Avoid ending up in "Same thing Different Day" - Stephen King: Dreamcatcher
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi again Scott;
Did you solve this one?

Just curious

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Sorry Andreas, I haven't been able to get back to this project yet. But I'm hoping today! Thanks for the suggestion and I'll be sure to let you know when I get to that point.

By the way, what can you tell me about running three different versions of Oracle on one box? We have 7.3.4.5 in one instance, 8.1.5 in another, and now 8.1.7 in yet another. Can all 3 of these coexist AND run without conflict? I'm suspecting not.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

You can run multiple versions of Oralce on the same HP server, we do here a lot. As long as you have clearly defined installation directories for each version, and enough system resources (RAM, disk etc.) then no conflicts.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Hi Andreas,

I tried your suggestion but the results are the same. Could it be that my new user (test817) doesn't have the right permissions or something on that line?
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
do you get the error only for the new user (test817)??
The script should grant to public, so it should be all or nothing.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Thierry,

Yes, it only occurs on user test817. However, that is the only user I have so far. I used the Enterprise Manager to create this user, using CONNECT and RESOURCE roles. This seems to be consistent with what was done in the past so I was following the previous DBA's lead. Is there more to it in 8.1.7?
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

YES!! I'v got the 10-pointer ;))

You've been running the wrong pupbld.sql! Run the pupbld.sql script from the Oracle 8.1.7 directory, and your problems are gone.
(Thank you for your question about multiple databases on one serer, this question really bugged me :)))

Thierry.