Operating System - Linux
1752793 Members
5968 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New compiled Kernel. Cannot Load Modules.

Irving Lopez
Advisor

New compiled Kernel. Cannot Load Modules.

Hi,
after compile a new kernel (v2.4.5), i can boot my box but none of the modules i was using can be loaded.
I make the kernel and mods this way:
-make oldconfig
-make dep
-make bzDisk
-make clean
-make modules
-make modules_install

The directory /lib/modules/2.4.5/ is created but aparently in a wrong way. The file modules.dep is empty.

thanks,

TMRND
TAMA
3 REPLIES 3
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: New compiled Kernel. Cannot Load Modules.

Hello,

What distro are you using ? What is your currently running kernel ?

If you are moving from a 2.2 kernel to 2.4, you need to update the "modutils" to a version supporting 2.4 architecture. Moreover, you need to rename /etc/conf.modules into /etc/modules.conf.

If you were already running a 2.4 kernel, then it may be a problem with "depmod". In this case, please post the output messages of "make modules_install" and "depmod -a". We will try to understand what is going wrong.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Irving Lopez
Advisor

hi Kodjo,
I'm using RH 6.2, the version of modutils is 2.4, the runing kernel ver is 2.2.14-5.0 and i renamed the file to modules.conf.
The attach contain the modules_install output.

Thanks in advance.
TAMA
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

Seems like you're moving from a 2.2 kernel to a 2.4 kernel. Thus, the modutils from RH6.2 WILL NOT WORK.

You should upgrade your modutils to version 2.4.x. If you're not comfortable to compile modutils yourself, here's a link to a i386 rpm:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/modutils-2.4.10-1.i386.html

To upgrade, do a rpm -Uvh modutils-2.4.10-1.386.rpm. Afterwards, run depmod -a. This should do the trick. Also, check that your lilo.conf is pointing to the new compiled kernel.

Regards,

Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.