1748019 Members
4821 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NewWave and .adt files

Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

NewWave and .adt files

I have an a friend who is an Accountant. A client has provided her with a file which has a .adt extension. They tell her this is a file that they had previously submitted to the Social Security Administration. She needs to get the data that is in the file.

From Google and HP web site searches it looks like the file may be the output from something called NewWave that runs on MPE. I have not been able to find any more information. It looks like it might be some kind of office suite.

Does any one know if there is a way to read .adt files on a Windows PC?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Guy Humphreys
Valued Contributor

Re: NewWave and .adt files

Wow, if it is from Newwave someone is running a SERIOUSLY old system. New Wave was an alternate dekstop manager for windows 3.1. It was designed in 1988!

the .adt extension could also be from the AdTech Fax program.

Have you tried opening it up in notepad? Hold down shift whilst right clicking the file and then choose 'open with...' select notepad from the list and see what happens. As it is from an accountant maybe excel will read it, do the same as above but choose excel instead of notepas and again see what info you can get. Even if it is gobbledigook, you may be able to see some info that is relevant.

HTH
G
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NewWave and .adt files

Guy,
Thanks for the reply. I believe she had tried everything that was available to her in MS Office.
Another friend had some program that he gave her and she was able to read the file. I do not know what she used.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Dave