Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No of physical processors on RedHat

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alpa Shah
Advisor

No of physical processors on RedHat

I want to get the no of physical processors on RedHat. Here is the o/p of cat /proc/cpuinfo.
Can any one tell me the no of CPUs this system has? Is the CPU count really 4 ? or its showing 4 because of dual core processors?

slx86sus10t3:/ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 33
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1991.427
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts fid vid ttp
bogomips : 3988.18

processor : 1
physical id : 0
core id : 1
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy ts fid vid ttp
bogomips : 3982.90

processor : 2
physical id : 1
core id : 0
bogomips : 3982.87

processor : 3
physical id : 1
core id : 1
bogomips : 3982.81
6 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: No of physical processors on RedHat

You should have two physical processors because the physical id is the same for two of the cpu listed. You have physical id 0 for cpu0 and cpu1, and physical id 1 for cpu2 and cpu3.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

This is a 2-CPU system, each CPU being dual-core. So, strictly speaking, the number of physical processors is 2. However, since you have 4 cores, you may have 4 processes (or threads) running simultaneously.
Alpa Shah
Advisor

Thanks a lot to both of you. I got ur point.
Alpa Shah
Advisor

One more doubt,
I've an RH4 m/c which shows 2 processors with same physical id with command `cat /proc/cpuinfo`. And these processors are not dual core. Then why is it showing 2 processors? Is it because the processor may support hyperthreading technology. I am not sure if it is supporting Hyperthreading. Is there any way I can check?
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Dual core and Hyperthreading both show up in this manner.
One long-haired git at your service...

Hyper-Threading is the 'ht' flag. However multi-core CPUs also show this flag...
So, I think that:
- if you see the 'ht' flag but 'cpu cores' is 1, then you have a 'regular' Hyper-Threaded CPU;
- if you see the 'ht' flag and 'cpu cores' is >1, then you have a multi-core CPU.