8650 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No pwr mgmt after recompile with acpi

Ravishankar Rao_1
Occasional Contributor

No pwr mgmt after recompile with acpi

Hi
I have a HP Pavilion ZE4145 laptop with Athlon 1800. I recompiled the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that comes with Mandrake 9.1 because acpi=on wouldn't work for me. I disabled APM and enabled ACPI, and chose the Athlon/K7 for the processor, ...
(My .config file is at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/config and my dmesg.out is at http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~rao/files/dmesg.out)

Now, Mandrake boots with acpi=on, and starts acpid, but there is no support for power management:
This is what /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info reads:
processor id: 0
acpi id: 0
bus mastering control: yes
power management: no
throttling control: no
performance management: no
limit interface: no

Could anyone tell me if I chose the wrong options during compile time?

Thanks
-Ravi

3 REPLIES 3
Cristian Draghici_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: No pwr mgmt after recompile with acpi

Hi there,

I got the best results with a 2.5.(40 something) kernel and the ACPI patches on a Omnibook XE4500. 2.4 kernels never detected my battery.

Look at acpi.sf.net for a patch, apply over your kernel sources and try that.
And I think a 2.5 kernel (if you don't mind trying something unstable) would be your best bet.

Good luck
Cristi
Cristian Draghici_1
Frequent Advisor

PS Your config file looks fine.
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

In general the acpi in stock 2.4.x kernels is insufficient. You need to use the acpi patch that Christian mentioned. I don't know that I would recommend a 2.5 kernel unless you know for sure that it gives you athlon features you can't get in a 2.4 kernel. There could be a lot of other heartache with a 2.5 kernel especially on a newer notebook. Make sure you enable all acpi features in your config (with the possible exception of debugging). Even after you get acpi working in your kernel, you will still need to do a fair amount of other configuration to tune acpi to meet your needs.

Bruce