Operating System - HP-UX
1748129 Members
3630 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No space in tmp directory while installing Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0 32 bit system

SOLVED
Go to solution

No space in tmp directory while installing Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0 32 bit system

I have to increase the size of tmp logical volume because of Oracle 817 installation requires a minimum 400 MB disk space in tmp directory. But I have only 30 MB space in tmp directory.

I have a vg00 volume having 8 logical volumes. \tmp is one of the volume and other logical having some more space that I can transfer to tmp logical volume.

When I tried through using SAM tool, I am getting message like 'Select smaller size logical volume or cancel out and extend volume size.

How to decrease the other logical volume size and transfer to tmp logical volume in the same volume vg00?

Is there any to decrease to logical volume size and allot the space to tmp lov.

Any help is apprecialted.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Re: No space in tmp directory while installing Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0 32 bit system

One alternative would be to point to a different temp directory...set the environment variable TEMP to point to a directory with 400MB free space before starting the install. Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Madhava,

If you have 400 MB sapce on /var then create link of temp -> /var/temp

#mkdir /var/temp
comment /tmp from fstab
go to single user mode
#ln -s /var/temp temp
#init 3 (to go back to multiuse mode)

Install your software put everthing back as it is. This is easy way.

To reduce the LV and add that to /temp
#lvreduce -L
#lvextend -L
#extendfs (row device>

This requires that both are in same VG and not active.
Use pvdisplay lvdisplay and vgdisplay to make sure what you doing is right.
If you are novice I suggest you first read about lvextend and lvreduce.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Lance Parkes
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem. Before starting the install:

Create or find a file system with > 500 mb available.
export TMPDIR=/somelargefs/oratmp
export TMP=/somelargsfs/oratmp
Run the install

You can delete this directory later - it is only used during the install. Oracle uncompresses files before actually installing them, and places them here. This is also the case with 9iAS.