108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OLD HP9000 E55 WITH HP-UX 9.04

SOLVED
Go to solution
JOAQUIN LLORIA

OLD HP9000 E55 WITH HP-UX 9.04

Hi

We have a old HP9000 E55 with HP-UX 9.04.

It wouldn't boot and display the following error:
Lv_vgconf():attach PV (dev=0x7000102) failed, errno=6

I suspect that the problem was caused by the server being shut down improperly and some system files are corrupted.

We need urgently recovery a data base from the tape. This backups where maid with SAM.

I need to re-install the operating system and nobody knows where the system is.

I'd called to HP service and they said that this system is obsolete and they can't send me the system.

Someone knows where can I found HP-UX 9.04

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: OLD HP9000 E55 WITH HP-UX 9.04

It sounds like your disk drive has failed. Perhaps it simply hasnt spun up, this can happen on older systems when shutdown. Try powering if off, then on, and see if it will boot. Try it a few times.

If not then try booting it into single user mode (hpux -is)

If you do a search from the boot prompt (SEA command) can you see any disk drives ?
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

i would suggest you to power down the system & verify the physical connections. if possible re-connect all the drive modules

kaps
Nothing is impossible
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,
we also have an E-class running HP-UX 9.04 and Oracle 7.1.6. Almost two years ago they told me upgrading was not necessary because the sever would become obsolete very soon. Now it's finally reaching the end of its operational life. I prayed daily that this server would never crash.

I think your question has already been answered perfectly, but I would also check the scsi cables as a last resort, and if it's an external disk check the power.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Verify SCSI termination.
JOAQUIN LLORIA

Hi Stefan, Kapil, Thierry and Vincenzo

I have verified Terminators, connections and they are OK. I have tried to powering off-on and I don't have results.

I can't try booting it into single user mode (hpux -is) because the system is making the POST.

My last chance is to re-install the OS and restore the backups but without the OS I can't.

If someone knows where can I found or download HP-UX 9.04 then I can try to re-install.

Thanks

Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

So, let me understand this. You think your disk is dead so you want to install HP-UX 9.04 to it (wiping the disk) so you can then recover from backup tape the data you need ? Is your disk is dead then you need to have another disk to install it to or a replacement disk, do you ?

If the backup was made with sam, its probably using fbackup so you could access this backup tape on any HP-UX box running HP-UX 9/10/11, do you have one ?
If you have an install CD for 10 or 11 you could install this (if you have a spare disk) and access your backup tape using fbackup (frecover).

If you have a spare disk to install to and a DDS drive to boot a tape off and you must have 9.0 or 9.04 then I have a spare tape. Let me know, im sure there is another way to achieve what you want.

Stefan
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I agree with Stefan, now I did have some tapes (DDS1 but where?)I never had cds for hpux9.04, But I may have a E35 or E55 with hpux9.04 on it somewhere, the point is in those dark age you didnt have make_recovery... or equivalent for serie800 (as for s700, mid you I didnt try).
So if you really need a 9.04 disk I could perhaps lend you one but that would mean someone has to come here and help me extract it, this evening because after Im on vacation for 2 weeks...
JOAQUIN LLORIA

Hi,

Stefan:
Yes, you have understand. I have a spare disk to install to and a DDS drive to boot a tape off and I need OS HP-UX 9.0 or 9.04. Then, after installing OS, I can then recover from backup tape the data I need.
If you have a tape with OS HP-UX 9.0 or 9.04 (better 9.04) please, let me know how can I have it. If you prefers, my e-mail is jlloria@promax.es

Victor:
Thanks but I can't go to Switzerland now.
If you don't know where you have your tapes, MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP NOW, otherwise you can lament it like I lament now.
Happy vacation.

Joaquin
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Joaquin,

Just posted the tape to you today.....

Good luck.

Cheers,

Stefan