1752612 Members
4687 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORA - 01031

dps
Occasional Advisor

ORA - 01031

Trying to do a backup for a database via DBA Studio (OMS). Under the security node for my username, I select system privliege only to discover that there is no sysdba??? As a result I get the above ORA error. I even logged into sqlplus as system for that dataase the diod connect sys / as sysdba and granted sysdba to myself successfully but still get that wretched erorr!!??? Can anyone help as I am totall lost???

I do not know why I am having this prob as with another database ( which had the same error ) I found that there was sysdba in the system priveleges tab that I could select and also worked ok when granting sysdba in sqlplus - so what's with this database???///
DPS
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just a hunch.

Check for the groups oracle belongs to in /etc/group, compare the entries with the system that is working fine.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
connect sys / as sysdba which is the new way of the old
connect internal.
Connect internal means that use are logging in as the powerful privilege sys.
sys means the user oracle.
So if you are connecting yourself using connect / as sysdba your username should be added to the dba group on the operating system.
If that is unix then you can add it to the /etc/group file.

This should resolve the problem.

Thanks

rror: ORA 1031
Text: insufficient privileges
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cause: An attempt was made to change the current username or password without
the appropriate privilege. This error also occurs if attempting to
UPDATE a table with only SELECT privileges, if attempting to CONNECT
INTERNAL, or if attempting to install a database without the necessary
operating system privileges.
Action: Ask the database administrator to perform the operation or grant the
required privileges.
dps
Occasional Advisor

OK - sorry I was trying to get a response geared to Win 2000 on this UNIX forum - but I am fairly desparate. My username does have ORA - DBA and also ORA - SID - DBA (this is the SID different to the one I am having this trouble with) in the groups for this Operating system.

DPS
dps
Occasional Advisor

I have resolved it!!!!

see if u can follow this -

I have resolved the problem today!

The day before I logged the problem I had (for security purposes) gone into DBA studio and changed all the passwords for system and for sys - and others. Just out of instinct I logged into DBA Studio as I did before (as my username) then on that database I again got the error. So this time I connected as sys and password "change_on_install" as sysdba. Then I went into my username and "Aley looleeya" the system privilege Tab shows the sysdba!!!

This is quite confusing as I could have sworn yesterday I was connecting in sqlplus as sys with changed passwd as sysdba as well and I got connected ok - Maybe I am totally wrong becasue I had not documented the steps. I guess one thing I can do to check if I am totally burmy or the system has gone screwy is to verify that the passwords were changed ok for the other database.

Thank you people!!
DPS
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
If this is on Win2000
you should login as a local administrator of the PC or the server.
Start-->settings---->control panel--->users and passwords
Click the advanced tab and select the Advanced user management.Click on the groups folder and click on the ORA_DBA group.Add your username in that group.
Now connect / as sysdba
should work for user name.

Also check the setting above eenthough everything is ok.