108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORA-09925: Unable to create audit trail file

Valarie Lim
Advisor

T G,

Thanks for the explanation!

Is there any known cause to what I am facing now?

Any resolution?

Thanks!
Yew Meng
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

What about these two permissions
$ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit
drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 9216 Dec 17 16:06 audit
$ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
-rwsr-s--x 1 oracle dba 38514400 Oct 5 05:33 oracle

Check you have proper permissions on the executable

Thanks
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Also make sure that the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit exists and is not a softlink to another directory.

REvert
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi yew meng,

According to Oracle Metalink, the only possibilities for this error occuring are:

a. $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit directory is full or
b. $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit directory doesn't exist

This error happens only on Unix systems. Oracle tries to create an audit file (in releases 7.1.3 onwards) even if auditing is not enabled. By default this information is written to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit or to the directory specified by init.ora parameter audit_file_dest.

To fix this:
1. Ensure the directory $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit or the directory specified by the init.ora parameter AUDIT_FILE_DEST exists, is writable by the oracle software owner and that the disk is not full. Make space available in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit or AUDIT_FILE_DEST by removing files that are not needed.
2. Check $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle has permission of 6755. If not, then correct the permissions by executing this from the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory:
chmod 6755 oracle

If this is not the case, most probably you are facing a bug! Then i would suggest that you create an iTAR or contact your Oracle Support

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Valarie Lim
Advisor

I have lots of space in the /oracle9 filesystem.
therefore space may not be the issue here.

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle9

file permission for /oracle9/rdbms/audit is
drwxrwxr-x

as for /oracle9/bin/oracle
file permission is rwxrwx--x
not the wan specifed by TG
rwsr-s--x or 6755.

Is this a concern?

Thanks!
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

The permission for the Oracle executable which I mentioned has setuid and setgid permissions.

make a copy of the present file as it is

and change the permissions of the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
to

$chown 6755 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle

$ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit
drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 9216 Dec 17 16:06 audit
$ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
-rwsr-s--x 1 oracle dba 38514400 Oct 5 05:33 oracle

Also check the audit dir for the proper permissions.

REvert once things are done and the results.

Thanks
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

If you had a disk problem, you'd probably not even have a usable database. You would be doing a database recovery.

Though not familiar with Oracle 9i, we're still 8i, We lost an entire database and had to go to backups and apply archive logs last two weeks ago.

The disk the oracle db was sitting on did not fail. There was a meltdown of another disk higher up the scsi chain and it interfered with disk operations of the disk oracle was on and we went down.

The audit file in question above might be on a bad disk, but in general, most shops put oracle on large, reliable disk arrays.

Are there any lbolt messages when you hit dmesg? Even if there are any, even on scsi devices unrelated to the actual oracle disks could be messing you up.

In the above mentioned failure, we lost access to a Seagate Xiotech disk array which isn't sharing SCSI addresses with anything. It's a SCSI device hung off its own fiber card. I guess all SCSI devices are related somehow, but in our case the box is old and the Fibre card has to be unplugged to do an ignite recovery.

Probably a most unhelpful post, but good luck to you.
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Valarie Lim
Advisor

TG,

noted on your point.
But dont think i will change the oracle permission binaries without consulting the DBA. once relevant changes made will keep you posted.

Steven,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
That's what I initially thought also. However not much came out from syslog and dmesg.

FYI, the oracle9 binaries sits on a FC60 disk array wiht RAID 5 configured over 4 x 73 GB disks.

Thanks Again! &
Merry Christmas!