New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORACLE 9i Standard Edition - ArchiveLog and OS version

LUCAS_7
Occasional Contributor

ORACLE 9i Standard Edition - ArchiveLog and OS version

We want to have twho servers :
- the first on HP UX 11i Itanium 2 (rx2600) with Oracle 9i SE
- the second on Windows 2000 (HP DL380) with Oracle 9i SE
We want to copy archive log files from the first machine to the second machine dans import them in a standby database
Is it possible because OS are diffetents (Oracle version are the same)

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

This should work!

The application logs are not depended on the OS version rather dependent on their versions and incarnation.

Thanks
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No. since the OS are different,database interprete with files differently.
never give up
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Did you try using the parameter

log_archive_dest_n=
to automatically send the archive log to the standby database host.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

This is a very interesting one!
I have not tried this.

Oracle is very flexible and this should be possible because archive logs are similar to export/import files which can work on any platform.

I will confirm this!!
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

I agree with Ravi. Version of OS/DB need to be same for log application in a standby database.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Part of building a standby database requires that a complete backup of the database (all datafiles) be loaded on the standby server, and then be mounted. This is because all of the internal oracle changes are done on a rowid basis, so all of the rowids must be the same for the tables (as well as checksums). Because of the different file formats, and ways that data is written between the two OS's, it isn't possible to successfully load a database from HP-UX to Windows, it is also impossible to create a standby database on a windows platform.

If you are looking for a possible DRP solution, you could look into replication, which does something similar with a 2 phase commit, but does not require that the databases be on the same OS type or use similar files.

Thanks,

Brian
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i will also add...

For a physical standby (9iR1 and before) they must be 100% homogenous -- Software, hardware (HP to HP, could be HP RP5430 to HP RX2600 but must be HP-UX to HP-UX for example), and OS. EE to EE and SE to SE.

For a LOGICAL standby (9iR2 and above), they are still homogenous although by using Oracle streams directly, you can achieve the same goal of a standby but using heterogenous hardware.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Well,

two comments from my side :

First: Standard Edition does not support Standby Database feature.
When trying to use
log_archive_dest_
You'll get error message that this is not supported. Works only with Enterprise Edition.

You can use
log_archive_dest
log_archive_duplex_dest
but these only support Directories as a target, not a service-name for standby databases. So the standby stuff has to be scripted manually.

Actually a cross OS standby database works.
We tried it already and it worked.
But I never find a proof that this is supported.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=110311

Good luck
Volker
Virgil Chereches_2
Frequent Advisor

I agree with Brian.
It isn't possible to have a standby database on a different platform than production database.
And that's because you can't start a database using a copy of another one's datafiles if the platforms aren't binary compatible.
Best regards,
Virgil