4898 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORACLE - IMP-00010: not a valid export file

Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

ORACLE - IMP-00010: not a valid export file

IMP-00010: not a valid export file, header failed verification

We exp using 10g version of Oracle and want to imp on a 9i. Is this possable? The error message "IMP-00010: not a valid export file, header failed verification" is what we have been getting when we tried. I have ftp'd the file using binary transfer more than once and we still get the same error.

Help is needed,

thank you,
Stephen
Not as is, is now
13 REPLIES 13
pat wickham

Hi

ORACLE - IMP-00010 due to file corruption. Was the export created from this client.

Your IMP-00010 error is most commonly caused when transferring the dump file with FTP and not explicitly stating to transfer in binary mode. Some FTP programs incorrectly see this file as a text file, which it is not. The dump file becomes corrupt on transfer. The only option is to retransfer in binary mode.

Regards,
Pat
Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

I have tried to do this a few times using the "bi" option (binary) in ftp and same message. Does this mean that the FTP is actually corrupting the file? Is there something else?
I am using the 10g to do the exp and a 9i for the emp.
Not as is, is now
pat wickham

Hi Steve,
FTP should be done in binary mode. Maybe you have secure FTP or another utiliy which you can try to FTP this over with.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi stephen,

To move data DOWN a version(s), you need to export using that lower versions EXP tool and IMP using that lower versions tool.

To move data UP a version, you export using the EXP of the database that contains the data and you IMP using the imp that ships with the TARGET database.

You might find the sqlplus COPY command to be a nice tool as well as it avoids the intermediate files and just copies data about. It is pretty fast too.

How did you proceed? Can you post the exact steps?

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Using imp/exp accross different Oracle versions: If exp and imp are used to export data from an Oracle database with a different version than the database in which is imported, then the following rules apply:

1. exp must be of the lower version
2. imp must match the target version.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Stephen,

Go to your 9i machine and fix the tnsnames.ora file to talk to the 10g database. Connect to the 10g database from the 9i ORACLE_HOME when running exp to create a 9i export file. Then, import THIS file into 9i.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

Hi Pat,
I have tried this transfer in sftp in binanay and will try other methods listed in the thread
Steve
Not as is, is now
Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

Hi John

I am going to attempt this since this seem to be a logical choice.
Not as is, is now
Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

how would I fix the tnsnames.ora to talk to the other machine?

is it something like this ?

DRX.ME.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = devload.me.com)(PORT = 1522))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = drx.me)
)
)
Not as is, is now