1752671 Members
5759 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OS disabled

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

OS disabled

during the process of partitioning the hdd I made a mistake somewhere and after clicking ok to the partition and restart, the os was disabled is there anyway of getting it back? ps.
I am using our other pc
c'est la guerre
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Ouch, now I feel bad for telling you how to do it.

I doubt there is an undo capability on PM8. You will probably have to reload the OS. I don't suppose you have the recovery CDs? Is this one of the HP's with the hidden partition with the recovery info? Did you remove the hidden partition too?

Ron
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

The screen that comes up shows the original size of 80 gig/b and it shows Master HDD S.M.A.R.T capability disabled. at the bottom is shows missing operating system.
I got one cd windows XP with the software , but i tried to use it and it does not do anything . the same screen comes up. ditto with the rescue diskette from partition Magic. I did use the norton ghost to copy everythin on cd's, but the boot disk does not work either. If there is a simple solution, I will try it.
c'est la guerre
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Make sure when you ran PM8 that you set the first partition as bootable or active. Otherwise try putting it back the way it was with the whole drive as one happy partition.

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to get the floppy and/or CD to work.

Ron
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

I am going to find a computer service in town to get it straightened out. I should not have attempted to create a partition in the first place after the first time I had problems with it.Thanks for trying to help anyway.
c'est la guerre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

I have my OS back without any loss of data. Apperently I failed to assign a drive letter to the partitioned sector.(something like that. I got the shop tech to partition the hard drive as I did not want to risk to make a mistake again. Hopefully this information will help someone else.
c'est la guerre