1748169 Members
4210 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OS upgrade on Pavilion 8570C

Martin R. Burke
Occasional Advisor

OS upgrade on Pavilion 8570C

Stock 8570C but 256Mg of RAM. I'm totally disabled without income, so replacing the riptide combo card is not feasable. Micro$oft is dropping support for my 98SE and I've backed everything up, so I'd like to run a full recovery, then upgrade to 2k or, even better,xp. But how? I NEED sou7nd and modem.
6 REPLIES 6
mal_2
Regular Advisor

well done ron
phantom
Martin R. Burke
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I've download4ed "ripnaw2k" for 2000 and "winzip" for xp. Should I just install an upgrade, see what doesn't work, then point to the ripnaw or winzip directories as drivers? Audio, modem or both? There is only one device listed under modem, but 4 8under audfio in my driver list.
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure I've got the full picture of your problems with Win 98SE, nor what's going on with your migration to W2K, nor why you have installed the XP version of Winzip over W2K, but I can answer to your question about the device manager.

AUDIO DEVICE. At this line, you'll read of course many devices associated to the Audio function, including the game port (joystick). IT'S NORMAL.

MODEM. If you have a Modem 56K integrated into your system and an external DSL Modem connected to a USB port (for example), only the BIOS-activated modem should show up under its net-extension card.

Are these pieces of information meeting your querry?

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Martin R. Burke
Occasional Advisor

Well, I backed EVERYTHING up to an external H.D. after downloading the ripnaw2k drivers for the combo card. Then ran a full recovery and upgraded to Win2kPro. As expected, the modem and audio went away. The ripnaw drivers not only solved the problem, but everything runs, faster, better, and a whole bunch more stable than before.

The XP updater now says I can further upgrade to XP with the only problem that I'll have to reinstall Roxio. Everybody running XP Pro just loves it. Should I do that? If, for some reason, I want to go back to 2k, can I? How?

Marty
Perignon
Honored Contributor

Well done Martin,

Depending on whether you have installed W2K under NTSF or FAT32 (W2K accepts both formats), you may overwrite this OS with XP and find out that all your drivers are present and running fine, but I would't rate that chance or luck at 100%.

Conversely, reverting from XP to W2K would probably require a clean-install procedure. In such conditions, I won't bet one dime that the many files you'd back up under XP will be still acceptable to W2K.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.