1753865 Members
7482 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Omniback not writing to remote tape drive

phil foster
Advisor

Omniback not writing to remote tape drive

I have a 11.0 machine with omniback v. 3.1 loaded onto it.
I have a remote server with a tape drive that I want to point
other backups to. when I do this, I can run the backups for
the remote server to its own tape device, but when I point
additional remote machines to that tape device, I get this
error:
"Can not connect to Media Agent on system xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, port 2168 (IPC Invalid Hostname or IP Address"

I have installed the client on all my remotes as adminstrator (they are nt boxes, while my host server is a hpux) And everytime I try this, the port number above changes in the error.

thanks for any help you can provide.
I like omiback when it works
3 REPLIES 3
Javier Juarez
Frequent Advisor

Re: Omniback not writing to remote tape drive

Reinstall the client with disk and media agents, verify that the appropiate agents are installed, this can be performed by using the Installation/Cell Administration Interface.

Select a host from the list of configured hosts
Select Info -> Host Propierty ...

On the Sell Server, check posible errors in files:

/tmp/Core.sd-log
/tmp/Disk/-Agent.sd.log
/tmp/Media.Agent.sd.log
/var/opt/omni/log/IS_install.log

Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

Check the following file
/etc/opt/omni/cell/cell_server

as well as all other files that include the machine name make sure they are all either using the fully qualified name or which ever syntax your network uses.

Make sure the NT names can resolve this name exactly as it appears in the file. i.e ping it or telnet to it from the client machines.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Anthony

Minimum effort maximum output!
Raveendra_2
Occasional Advisor

It is a Host name resolution problem.

Make sure that Remote Media agent system is resolved correctly from other remote systems. Whatever the Remote system name appearing in Cell Manager Clients ( from cell_info file in Cell Manager), Same name should get resolved by all remote systems

Quick way to check is add Media Agent remote system and IP Address to /etc/hosts file or C:winntsystem32driversetchosts file in all other remote systems. Or

if you are using DNS, make sure that nslookup resolves the Remote system name exactly shown in Omniback Cell_info file. And DNS Domain should be correctly set in the NT Boxes.

That should resolve the problem.
Regards
ravi