5925 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Omnibook 6000 modem with RedHat

Nicotra
Occasional Contributor

Omnibook 6000 modem with RedHat

Hi all,
i've installed RedHat 7.3 on my Omnibook 6000, everything seems to work (audio, network card), but I've trouble with the modem (3COM 3C556 mini PCI combo 56K v90).
In the internet I've read that this modem is not supported.
Is there anyone can help me?
Thank you very much.
4 REPLIES 4
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: Omnibook 6000 modem with RedHat

Hello,

You are right : the 3Com modem that ships with OmniBook 6000 series is a winmodem that is not supported with Linux. If you can get a PCMCIA modem, it will do the job. Otherwise, try to get a serial port external modem (cheaper than PCMCIA ones).

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I installed Redhat 7.2 on my Pavillion and had so many problems I switched to Suse 7.3. I still had problems with the Windmodem (as expected), and so now use an old PCMCIA modem. I also had to change the IRQ for the internal LAN card to IRQ-9, or the USB adapter won't work. The only problem I can't solve though is that because the ESS sound card is plug and pray, everytime it boots it gets different settings, and therefore only works odd times.

James Roper
Advisor

This site is helpful:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO-5.html
My Omnibook has an ESS modem, I have a driver that esstech had on the ftp site (not anymore) and have not as yet managed to get it working (the driver is precompiled, version conflicts with kernel, trying to obtain a program that can apparently masquerade the kernel version.) If I do get it working, you can be sure that I will create a website saying how I got it working. Other people have managed to do it, compiling the kernel without the versions is one way (I'm not game to try that).
If my whole world were fake, then none of it would be fake, because reality is what is real to me
Jarle Bjorgeengen
Trusted Contributor