Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenLDAP poor performance on HP-UX

Pavel Moravec
Occasional Advisor

OpenLDAP poor performance on HP-UX

Hello,
we observe very poor performance of OpenLDAP running on our HP-UX 11i. E.g. ldapadd adding 20.000 records takes over 27 minutes(!):

$ time ./addToLdif.sh db_backup.ldif > /dev/null
ldapadd: no DN specified

real 27:00.2
user 9.1
sys 1.8

While the same on similarly powerfull RedHat Linux box takes 90seconds, 18times less.

ldapsearch is similarly poor in performance, e.g. it takes 8 seconds on HP-UX while 1 second on the Linux.

slapd.conf setting:
index name,sgn,sin,omg pres,eq
cachesize 100000
dbcachesize 1000000

CPU does not seem to be the bottleneck. top neither vmstat show high CPU usage or long runqueue.

I suppose it is a configuration issue but I am unable to find anything relevant. Is there any clue?
1 REPLY
Pavel Moravec
Occasional Advisor

Re: OpenLDAP poor performance on HP-UX

Btw. the only answer that I received by googling is that PHKL_25367 has negative impact to performance. This patch is not installed on our system, while its superseded PHKL_34534 is used.