1752369 Members
5971 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenSSH Windows GUI -- HELP!

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

OpenSSH Windows GUI -- HELP!

Hello! I know this is probably the wrong forum for this question, but what with SSH being a security tool, I didn't see much point in asking this in a Windows forum :-p

I've got an sftp server configured with HostbasedAuthentication only, it doesn't allow passwords, keys or anything. This is for secure data transfers from customers. Most customers have a script that uses OpenSSH to transfer the data without any problems, however we have a requirement on top of this to do drag & drop from Windows.

I don't believe PuTTY or WinSCP support HostbasedAuthentication, I can only get it to work with public keys.

Does anyone know of a Windows drag & drop tool that can authenticate with HostbasedAuthentication?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
2 REPLIES 2
Gerrit Hannaert
Advisor

Re: OpenSSH Windows GUI -- HELP!

Why not configure the server to use public keys, which WinSCP supports? You can always cheat and put the private key in a location accessible by all users on one specific PC (though you would have to tell WinSCP where that is - a registry hack might do that).

Alternatively, in order to use HostbasedAuthentication perhaps Cygwin+X and then ssh and some ssh-GUI (like http://www.pingx.net/secpanel/) would work, though that seems over the top to me.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Re: OpenSSH Windows GUI -- HELP!

Couldn't find any client that support hostbasedauthentication and ended up using public key as suggested...

Not as secure as I'd like, but at least it's working!